update on cone-o-bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I moved the bees from the cone into a nuc a while back and now its ready for a full brood box so this afternoon I moved them into a 10 frame, funny but I can never find the queen in that hive, looked many times and even during the move today still no sight.

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice. :thumbsup:
    I notice those are what I consider to be dark bees, and I have always had trouble finding queens in a dark colony. I actually have trouble finding dark queens period because I don't come across them all that often so my eyes aren't trained to see them. :shock:

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya very dark, wish I could find her, 1 heck of a egg machine, all 5 frames in the nuc had brood on all sides, I would say it was 1 frame of bees when I put them in the nuc, was a very small hive was not sure if they were gonna make it or not.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When you do find her, mark her with a dab of paint (according to the color code of the year). She'll be much easier to find then.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

unlike efmesch I would paint her with whatever paint stick I had in my pocket as soon as I spotted the girl. much like Perry siting unpainted dark queens has always been difficult for me and some people seem to think I am somewhat gifted in regards to spotting queens in general (or at least they pay me quite handsomely for this perceived talent).

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tec, my intention was that zookeep (or anyone who wants to mark a queen) should be prepared to paint with the proper color coded stick. I have a set of five tiny paint cans with the code colors. When I want to mark a queen, I go to the hive with the color of the year ready for my paint stick.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

1 thing I am still not real comfortable with is grabbing the queens, hurt a leg or anything and they go into replacement mode and sets the hole hive back, I know its something I need to work on with the luck Ive had raising queens, think I need 1 of those marking tubes, I might feel better doing that way.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Grab up some drones and mark them, good practice!! They are wiggly and you will have to hold on to them.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

As G3 said-but be prepared for possible unexpected surprises from them (NOT stings). :queen:

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

doing real well

after the main yard Anthony and I went back to my house and opened up cone-o-bees and we found the queen, hive is ready for a 2nd box and looks to be hauling in the honey at a good rate:grin:

Attached Files:

11. melrose

melrose New Member

Found her in the third picture. Nice stripes she has on her, very unusual. :thumbsup:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Found her on the first 3 pictures. :thumbsup: :lol:
    Quickest give-away, look for the floret pattern of bees around her, they all turn to face her and form a distinct pattern that gives her away.