Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved the bees from the cone into a nuc a while back and now its ready for a full brood box so this afternoon I moved them into a 10 frame, funny but I can never find the queen in that hive, looked many times and even during the move today still no sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nice. :thumbsup:
I notice those are what I consider to be dark bees, and I have always had trouble finding queens in a dark colony. I actually have trouble finding dark queens period because I don't come across them all that often so my eyes aren't trained to see them. :shock:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya very dark, wish I could find her, 1 heck of a egg machine, all 5 frames in the nuc had brood on all sides, I would say it was 1 frame of bees when I put them in the nuc, was a very small hive was not sure if they were gonna make it or not.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
When you do find her, mark her with a dab of paint (according to the color code of the year). She'll be much easier to find then.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
unlike efmesch I would paint her with whatever paint stick I had in my pocket as soon as I spotted the girl. much like Perry siting unpainted dark queens has always been difficult for me and some people seem to think I am somewhat gifted in regards to spotting queens in general (or at least they pay me quite handsomely for this perceived talent).

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Tec, my intention was that zookeep (or anyone who wants to mark a queen) should be prepared to paint with the proper color coded stick. I have a set of five tiny paint cans with the code colors. When I want to mark a queen, I go to the hive with the color of the year ready for my paint stick.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 thing I am still not real comfortable with is grabbing the queens, hurt a leg or anything and they go into replacement mode and sets the hole hive back, I know its something I need to work on with the luck Ive had raising queens, think I need 1 of those marking tubes, I might feel better doing that way.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Grab up some drones and mark them, good practice!! They are wiggly and you will have to hold on to them.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
As G3 said-but be prepared for possible unexpected surprises from them (NOT stings). :queen:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doing real well

after the main yard Anthony and I went back to my house and opened up cone-o-bees and we found the queen, hive is ready for a 2nd box and looks to be hauling in the honey at a good rate:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Found her on the first 3 pictures. :thumbsup: :lol:
Quickest give-away, look for the floret pattern of bees around her, they all turn to face her and form a distinct pattern that gives her away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts