Upper Entrance?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fredo Batali, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

I'm a year into my first hive and I have a few questions regarding an upper entrance for the foragers. Where should I put it, how large should it be? Won't this opening enable hive robbers?

De Oppresso Liber

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You have a couple of options regarding upper entrances. Some will drill a hole in the top super, just below the hand hold, others (myself included) will simply cut a notch out of one side of the rim of your inner cover. If you are concerned about robbing, simply place a small piece of screen over the opening.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thats the way... uh huh I like it.

a bit of paper or grass works nicely to plug small entrances.

and welcome aboard Fredo Batali.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

For what it's worth, a beekeeper friend of mine acquired a hive and equipment, and the set up had a 3/4" hole drilled into the upper box (not sure how many in the stack). He reports that the entrance is well-used during the season, and that that hive did the best of his 6 hives, including over-wintering.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Hobie:
    Don't know if you noticed but you are closing in on 1,000 posts! :Dancing: :drinks:
    Congratulations and thanks for the contributions.

Perry

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Some good things about upper entrances is that they are skunk-proof, and also you don't have to worry about snow blocking the entrance.

8. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Thanks For all the insight. I'm starting another hive this spring and I think I'll go with a top entrance on this one. If I change the entrance on my established hive to the top, will the bees have issues until they figure it out?

De Oppresso Liber

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Just reduce the bottom one a lot and have both entrances for a few days, then eliminate one altogether. They'll get it. :)
    I keep both entrances going, but with a mouse guard reducer on the bottom one during winter.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

any change requires a hive to readjust to the change. as far as I can tell for people and bees change requires time before you think 'this is how it has always been'.

ps.. an imirie (sp?) shim is another means of adding an upper entrance. I don't know if it still exist, but 'the imirie pink pages' (or something like that) was an excellent web information source.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks Iddee you are the best....