upper entrance

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok so on 1 hive I have a standard bottom board the other has a screened( trying both out to see what I like) but while I was reading the forums Ive seen mentioned just in passing about a upper entrance, but not any real explanation of where it would go. any1 got a pic or 2 of 1 so that I have a look at it?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'll send you a pic in your third year of beekeeping. I suggest you use bottom entrances the first two years.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

depending on the year and the location of hive by year 2 or 3 the hives may be melted down into a soft puddle of wax.

I have notched entrances built into my slightly modified* migratory covers. some folks (lots of commercial bee keepers) like to drill one 3/4" hole just below the front hand hold.

*they have a 1/4" lip to lift the lid slightly above the frames below.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I love top entrances, so do my bees. I do think they help avoid bearding in hot weather, and condensation in the frigid winter (maybe not an issue in Florida! lol) Top entrances are also an option if you have skunk and mice problems.

5. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I'd like a pic, too, if you don't mind.
    Thanks,
    LtlWilli
    mosin53@aol.com

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I have a bottom entrance in my hive. The bees all use the vent hole in the inner cover instead.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

one of my hives has a top hole too...i bought it that way...i plugged it with wax an they dug it right back out....twice....i figure they wanted it that way so i quit fighting them about it...they are kicken butt so im ok with it...they also have a bottom entrance as well....ummmm....why shouldnt there be one for 3 years....im asking cause i dont know :|

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No reason other than I think newbees should get one way down pat before branching out.There's nothing wrong with top entrances, just not mainstream.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

oh...ok well then that saves me from having to nail a mountian dew can over the entrance tonight when i get home....lol.....boy i bet you shake your head at me on a daily basis.....i try all kinda stuff (sorry Iddee....i cant help it......im like a mad scientist creating frankenstien half the time)....if i read it an it makes sence i'll go right out an try it....as long as it is an add on tho....i think the ho hum normal bee set up is perfect....but since i cant afford new dubbs an a blower for my truck ima have to make the bees have ''BLING''

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's fine, 2k. Just don't cry when you lose a few.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I dont do anything tooo radical....actually almost everything i try is out of those old bees books i bought a couple years back...ive built hives, frames, feeder tops an vent tops....the worst ive done so far was making a split when i problly should have left it a whole hive....i didnt do bad this year....i planned on 2 strong hives an i ended up with 3....an i have all the great beeks on this fourm to thank for it...thanks guys/gals :)

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

None of that stuff matters. The only thing that matters is: "Did you have fun"? :D

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

every single second....well....can i omit the second i got stung between my nose an upper lip....at THAT second if ida had a hand grenade my bekeeping days would have ended abruptly...man that hurt...i lived tho an got a lesson in anger management...how bout you...still haven fun an learnen stuff bout bees...or are you one with the bee an need no further education on the subject ????

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I truly believe you could start a 2 year old with a pic of a bee, continue until they were 99, and they would still be learning the first half of beekeeping. I learn and enjoy every day.

15. Omie

Omie New Member

I agree, we should never stop learning until we die. Only a fool thinks they know everything about a subject.

Definition of an expert:
    Someone who know more and more about less and less, until finally they know everything about nothing. lol!

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....amen to that Omie....i love to learn whatever i can....read an do....watch an do...guess an do....fail or pass either one is learning.....i'm also a flintknapper an it took me years n years to learn to do it....lots of blood an sweat....an i havent even scratched the surface....i like it when the little ones school ya on something....when i first started i was making arrowheads out of beer bottle bottoms cause it was a ready an free source of matirial....i had a heck of a time getting the bottom off without breaking it...id start at the top an bust the bottle till i got to the bottom....broke 70% of them....then a friend of my sons saw me doing it one day an asked why i was doing it like that....i spewed out all kinda technical mumbo jumbo...he saw a big 6'' nail i had an picks up a bottle....puts the nail inside it with his thumb over the top....gives it a quick shake an off comes the bottle bottom in a nice round circle....i just blinked at him...he smiled an handed me the glass disk an strutted off like a game rooster....to this day i still have that nail in my knapping tools an with all the knowledge i have doing it i still use a 12 year olds method.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I truly believe you could start a 2 year old with a pic of a bee, continue until they were 99, and they would still be learning the first half of beekeeping. I learn and enjoy every day.

tecumseh:
    I have heard Beneford Weaver (who likely started out at about that age with way more than a picture of a bee) make the same comment. What a treat it has been for me to somewhat get to know that old fellow.

18. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Our bees that had the top entrances (their own making) went gangbusters on the honey this year. They don't use the bottom entrance much.

19. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Why stop then? I plan on continuing to learn in my next life!

20. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok this weaver fellow you guys are talking about, does he have anything to do with R Weaver Apiaries?