Upper ventalation?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, May 9, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Day time temperature about 94. Hive is in direct sunlight from 7 am to 11:30 am. Should I vent up high. I only have 1 lower entrance that ventilates the hive.

Current Hive.jpg

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I cannot think of a place or time when an upper entrance is not a good idea. Beyond ventilation (almost essential here when the day time temperature goes +100 for weeks if not months) there is also the question of easy access (by the bees) at the top and bottom of the box.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree with tec.
    If they don't want it they will close it up. I have upper ventilation 24/7, 365 days. The only time I close them up is if transporting.
    Now some don't use upper ventilation with success as well, bee trees don't always have extra ventilation.
    Where it gets as hot as it does where you are, it wouldn't hurt.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I also have top ventilation 24/7 365 days, i also have screen bottomboards on year round. I think it helps increase honey production and less tracking on my comb honey supers when using queen excluders. I don't have the bearding that i use to have since i started using the SBB and top entrace. Jack

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

I am believer in ventilation, so I built ventilation boxes/inner covers for all my hives. In hot summer weather it takes less bee power to maintain hive temperature. Instead of cooling hives, and removing moisture, bees can do other things.

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

What are you guys doing for top ventilation? Screened inner covers? Top entrance with migratory covers? Can I just put some 1/8 spacers between inner cover and telescoping top?

7. Omie

Omie New Member

YES YES to upper ventilation/entrance !!!

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i build my own vent boxes as well, i use them year round, and have an upper entrance.
    dklma, yes you can use spacers.

9. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Upper Ventalation

WOW! Looks like upper entrance/ventilation is the way to go. What? Drill a couple 1" holes in each end of a box or make a slit entrance?

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Depends on what you have for time and material. I just put a notch in my inner cover rim (cover the escape hole though) put on a 1 1/2" rim and pop on my outer cover.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Many different ways to do the same thing. You can drill a hole (make sure it is just below your handhold) or you can even just slide your top box back so there is a 3/8 to1/2" gap showing from the box below.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great pictures perry to show and tell a new keep:grin: !

i do as perry does, but i cut the notches in my inner cover to about 3-3 1/2" long, trying to find a picture of my vent boxes.....

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

I use this, which in the winter serves as an insulation box.(1,5" thick piece of foam insulation goes inside)
    Inner Cover Ventilation Box.jpg

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, i can't find any purty pictures to post like perry, but mine are similiar to Tim Arheit's of Honey Run Apiaries.....pdf to build them:

Tim Arheit vent boxes

what i use to use was old shallow comb honey supers with holes drilled in them, still do, but ran out:grin:. so what i do now is take a 1 x 8, rip it down the center, crosscut the peices to make the box, drill 3/4" or 1" holes, 4 on the long side, 3 front and back, angled a bit downwards. i staple 1/8" hardware cloth to cover these from the insides so other insects cannot get in.

i set this box on top of my inner cover. it works great for ventilation. in the winter, i use 2" of insulation in these (covers the holes), or build some additional boxes without the holes to overwinter my bees.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

whoops! just like marbees......but marbees is a purtier color than mine! :grin:

i just leave them plain and use linseed oil or some exterior oil on them.

15. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

!!!! Wow, I was just wondering how to vent my community ladies a bit. They don't get any afternoon shade at all, and it gets might hot here in the springs. Thanks for the pics!

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I use somewhat modified migratory covers... they have a rim built in to the bottom side and look a bit like Perry's picture #2. sometimes I add building shims between boxes to form a small crack on one side of the upper boxes. I do not drill holes in my boxes.... although a lot of commercial folks certainly do.

17. mrbee

mrbee New Member

We stagger a couple boxes a bit (about 1/4in) on each hive, open the bottom entrance completely and prop the top open slightly with a piece of small stick. Helps with venting and keeping our honey dry down here. Grandpa has been doing it for 30 years and it works well.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

I used a similar box last summer and it did help honey production.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

IMG_20120330_113833.jpg
    I use these. Really easy to make. My mentor early on advised me to have only one exit/entrance for the bees to protect, so I don't use notched inner covers.

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dave,
    the notched inner cover will help your bees during the winter months, something for you to consider? ventilation then, is equally important. just my HO.
    btw, very 'cool' boxes!:grin: