Use of smoke during cut-out?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by PerryBee, Jun 18, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Do you folks use a lot of smoke during a cut-out or do you find it just riles them up even more?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I use the same small amount I would use when inspecting a hive in the bee yard.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Kind of depends on the attitude of the ladies really. I have done a couple of cut outs and never lit the smoker, of course these were inside and no smoke could be used (sugar water worked well). Have done some that smoke did not seem to matter they were still pissy. For the most part a little smoke in the beginning, vac up the guard bees and they seem to just submit to what is going on.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thank you gentlemen. Today or tomorrow I shall let you know what happens. :wink:

5. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

My limited experience (one real cut out) the smoke ran them farther back into the structure, and made my job harder.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

What G3farms said....:thumbsup:....:goodpost:

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Vaccing up the guard bees BEFORE cutting comb, what a novel idea. Going to try that next time. (I didn't have a bee-vac until the 2nd day of my first cutout.)

8. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I don't use smoke if the colony is inside a wall or roof that would force them further back into a recess or perhaps cause them to cross over to a poorly constructed studd or roof truss. It's more work to get them all that way.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Looking forward to seeing how your cutout goes Perry...