Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Kind of depends on the attitude of the ladies really. I have done a couple of cut outs and never lit the smoker, of course these were inside and no smoke could be used (sugar water worked well). Have done some that smoke did not seem to matter they were still pissy. For the most part a little smoke in the beginning, vac up the guard bees and they seem to just submit to what is going on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My limited experience (one real cut out) the smoke ran them farther back into the structure, and made my job harder.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kind of depends on the attitude of the ladies really. I have done a couple of cut outs and never lit the smoker, of course these were inside and no smoke could be used (sugar water worked well). Have done some that smoke did not seem to matter they were still pissy. For the most part a little smoke in the beginning, vac up the guard bees and they seem to just submit to what is going on.

What G3farms said....:thumbsup:....:goodpost:

·
Super Moderator
3,547 Posts
Vaccing up the guard bees BEFORE cutting comb, what a novel idea. Going to try that next time. (I didn't have a bee-vac until the 2nd day of my first cutout.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't use smoke if the colony is inside a wall or roof that would force them further back into a recess or perhaps cause them to cross over to a poorly constructed studd or roof truss. It's more work to get them all that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts