use of XenTari BT or certan

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by samo's beekeeping, Sep 21, 2010.

1. samo's beekeeping

samo's beekeeping New Member

if anyone of us know how to use XenTari BT or certan, please inform me how to use it and if leaves residues on honey or in larvae. if you now someone supplier close to you ask him if it's legitimate to shell in E.U. (GREECE).

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Here is a link to the use of it.

http://strawberry.ifas.ufl.edu/chemicalinfo/xentari.pdf

It was sold in the US for use on beeswax comb and labeled for that use. It is still labeled for that use in Canada but not the USA any more even though it can be bought. It will not harm the bees or the comb and works great for the storage of combs against wax moth. What is for sale in the USA is in powered form, mixed with water it is sprayed onto the combs.

Here is a link to a thread on this forum talking about it.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1834

I do not know if it is available in Greece.

3. samo's beekeeping

can i use it in an active beehive?? or spray it on an empty beehive and then put a colony in?
    thank's for information,very helpfull.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not certain why you would want to do that samo??? BT requires that the larvae eat the stuff so if you had an infestation at that level something beside BT would be essential.

5. samo's beekeeping

dear friend, i am asking becouse i found some beehives with wax moths inside and i found a lot of moths in the air ventilation holes. so i have to do something. it's difficult to clean up 350 beehives in honey period. that's why i asked if i can spray this product in an active colony beehive, which contains honey also. these details are very difficult to find out. :hi:

6. rast

rast New Member

Samo, I have sprayed several weak live hives with it with no bad results going back 3 years. I usually only spray brood comb because they like it best with the pollen. It will not kill the bees.

7. samo's beekeeping

thank you my friend. that's what i wanted to know. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: