Used brood comb in new hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Jeem, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jeem

Jeem New Member

I'm setting up two new hives this spring and am wondering if it's better to start with all new foundation or if I should use some frames with used brood comb in them. Any other advice on using used brood or honey super comb would be appreciated as well.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Depends on if you are starting with nucs, in which case you will already have used brood comb, or a package, which you could put on new foundation. If you knew the source of the comb and the history that went with it I would be tempted.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"Your own", or well known, used comb is pure gold. Use it.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Drawn comb is a great boost to a hive since they do not have to spend all of the energy, time and resources to pull comb out.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if ya' got it, use it!

6. Jeem

Jeem New Member

Thanks all. I have lots from the old fellow whose equipment I've purchased. He has assured me that he never had any major disease outbreaks or such and also thinks I should use the old comb. My question now is how old is too old? Much still looks good and is an amber color but some of it is very dark and opaque. Some also has what appears to be still-capped brood cells. There seems to be nothing in the cells but residue of some sort

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Replace what is VERY BLACK. Use the rest. The bees will clean and refresh it.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain why Iddee suggested that you replace very black comb???

imho... at some point comb does need to be replaced but color by itself is not likely to be a very good indicator for most folks. <no real disagreement here just looking for some better elaboration to better discriminate the good from the bad from the ugly.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That was the easiest way to describe it to a newbee. The hardness, size and depth of cells, etc. is something you just have to pick up with time. Solid black comb is enough of an indicator that is easy to explain and easy to understand.

10. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I use the "black comb" or old comb in my swarm catchers.

Jim