Used hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Kevin1969, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

Just bought some inherented used hives from a friend. What is the best way to clean / disinfect the hives. Also I might need to seal some seems in the boxes. What is bee safe to do both? Thx

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I would just rinse with water and dry the hive boxes, how are the frames? do they have any comb or honey in them?

3. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

Frames are brand new, my friend was able to give me new unassembled frames for all the boxes, so 40 deeps and 40 mediums need to be assembled.

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

ok, just assemble the frames and use, no need to disinfect anything , use a USDA approved wood glue for food contact on any hive boxes you need to fix, it should say on the label, as this will come in contact with the bees and honey so nothing toxic should be used..

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Titebond II for frame glue. If any risk of disease, lightly run a lit propane torch over the inside of the boxes. Don't set afire, just scorch surface

6. Kevin1969

Kevin1969 New Member

Thank you both, will do next nice day outside. I still have snow on ground so I'm getting a bit worried about time before nucs arrive. I was worried about using bleach on bodies because of residue, but a good once over with torch sounds good.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Should be enough, and just the insides