used material: is it worth the 500$ asked?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by addam, Oct 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. addam

addam New Member

Hi all,
    For some time now, I was looking to buy an extractor. And right now I have an offer for a used one (maxant electric 10frames radial) + two hives (8 deep boxes) (without bees) + a bk jacket + hat + 2 queen excluder + 2 feeders + 2 winter insulation kits + a stainless honey drainer.
    All of this for 500$.

What do you think? ... my first impression is that it is a good price as I was looking to buy a new extractor for more that this price.

Thanks all for your wise advice :)

extractor1.JPG extractor2.JPG drainer.JPG

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Stop typing and start buying!!!!! Up here that extractor would be gone for the $500, never mind the rest. Start at $400 and meet somewhere.
    I am not sure what that last pic is of though? :dontknow:

3. addam

addam New Member

Thank you PerryBee for the reply ! As of the last pic, I was said the it is used to uncap frame cells (put the frames on it while uncapping).

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I thought it might be part of an old silver queen uncapper so I guess I was close. :lol:
    You cannot go wrong with Maxant gear, and it's a radial to boot. :thumbsup:

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It looks like the extractor is designed to hold 10 deep frames but can handle 20 mediums. as you said the extractor is worth more than $500. For $500 you are looking at a 3/6 in an electric extractor. The extractor is a good deal at that price and the rest of the equiptmrnt is a bonus.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That extractor new retails for $1400 (from Maxant) and then add taxes and shipping.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

addam, like perry and apis said, i'd be snapping that up in a hearbeat!

ps i thought the last pic looked like some type of canadian sled......:lol:
    (just kidding....great buy!)

8. addam

addam New Member

Hi all,
    Just update: I finally got it + the other stuff for 475$ ... it is in a very good condition. It only needs to be cleaned a bit ... it haven't been used for 3 to 4 years.

The next step will probably be to try install an automatic speed control ... using may be an arduino :)

I'm really happy with it and I thank you all for your comments and opinions !

Riverbee: It is enough big to be used as a sled by my son ... so it will be useful even in winter ;-)

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Riverbee: It is enough big to be used as a sled by my son ... so it will be useful even in winter [​IMG]"

.......:lol:
    ps congrats and you will be happy with the purchase and some clean up!

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The yellow hand knob is a friction speed control to install an electronic one on that motor will require a variable phase converter. And if the motor uses a centrifugal secondary start winding switch you may be limited to the minimum motor rpm speed. You will still need to adjust the motor speed as the extracting of a load of frames progresses. You may need a larger motor also, with the setup the way it is the the motor hits full rpm before much load is applies to the motor.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You got a good deal Addam. :thumbsup: I don't think you'll need a electronic speed control, just use the yellow knob like Apis suggests.

12. addam

addam New Member

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Glad you decided to use it, the way it was designed. It's a great extractor, easy to work with. The only things that you may replace on this extractor are belts or motor. Both are easy to find and cheap, 1/3 hp motor as you have is always available on Kijiji for $20. Congratulations :thumbsup:

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I'm late to this thread but congrats, that was a great deal. A little hot water and some elbow grease and you'll be set.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's pretty funny when you start this wonderful experience called beekeeping, isn't it? I think many of us start with the idea that "a couple of hives in the backyard" would be nice. Once you get involved with the bees however, things can quickly spiral out of control! :lol:
    But I would be willing to take a bet on how many of us wouldn't change a thing!
    Keep your eye on kijiji and wait for the next "too good to pass up" deal to come along, and add to your inventory (perhaps a nice bottling tank)? :wink:

16. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Wow, I paid more than that for a 3/6 hand crank unit. My favorite way to clean an extractor is at the coin-operated car wash. Works great and you don't have to reach in around the baskets to try remove the crud.

17. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I mist out on a 25 gallon/250 lb. Heavy Stainless Steel tank with a welded 1 1/4" threaded outlet flange, at the auction 2 weeks ago. Got to the auction 5 minutes after it sold for $35.00 I wish I had gotten there for that one.

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some of the prices at that auction you go to are out of this world Apis. Some of the deals are good enough that I would consider buying, and then shipping out here. I'd probably still save money!

What do think of this deal? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger...er...make that wallet! :roll:
    FW Jones pressure filter = $180
    Jones Filter.JPG Jones Filter # 2.JPG

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I couldn't say it any better than Wayne did. I'll add that I'm happpy for your good fortune.

20. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Ultra fine filtered honey. Is it still honey? No just messing with you but the filtration is qiite fine compaired to free flowing honey screens and straining bags. Definitely fine enough to pass the Grade A standard for Canadian honey with the Canadian food agency. They work well but the honey need to be really warm to reduce the viscosity of the honey to flow thru. To avoid keeping the honey at a high temp in the sump a heat exchanger is needed to get the honey up to straining temperature and ensure any crystals are dissolved. You need a good working sump to keep the wax from getting to the pump pickup end and clogging the filter. The filter needs to be placed for easy access for filter changing and a catch pan for the drips while being serviced. The other factor is the cost of filter bags. They are a little messy cleaning and changing the bag, but then any filter is.
    They are a good unit and installed properly work really really well. If the honey is not warm enough or your sucking wax cappings into it, or on remelting there are crystals present they can plug easily. Hope this helps.