Uses for a chest freezer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Jan 21, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have a chest freezer. It takes days for anything to freeze, as it is probably going bad. Although I never have fixed one and couldn't tell you much about my efforts to fix it ;)

I told my wife that maybe we don't want to throw it out. That maybe I could think of other uses. (warm farming bin, cooler for ice and sodas at the picnic, etc.)

So help me out. What other possible uses cold one have for a chest type freezer?

BTW...She was not happy with the comment about it being her coffin one day... :roll:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Earth worm bed...

With a 100 watt bulb, a honey decrystallizer. Even when it is still in the supers.
    Or warming it before extracting.

Incubator for snake eggs....Your wife would probably like the coffin idea better. :eek:

High volume wax storage before installing in frames, and a way to warm it slightly before installing.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A buddy of mine sat his outside in the full sun, took the lid off of it, painted the inside flat black and laid an old sliding glass door on top.

You guessed it, a solar wax melter, he just sits whole supers or brood boxes in it. Of course he fashioned a piece of tin for the bottom to catch the wax and funnel it to a pan and it is sitting on a slight hill side to catch the sun just right.

worm bed
    remove the lid and sit in the pond or lake, make a giant turtle trap
    put it in the barn for feed storage
    cold frame....put old sliding glass door on top but prop up so it does not get too hot
    gang box...was on one job and some Mexicans had a small one with a couple of hasp for locks to hold all of their tools
    hot box for welding rods and wire
    big crock for making wine or beer
    lay it on its front side and prop the lid open (permantly of course) for a shelter for goats, dog, chickens, kids fort, etc.
    take the lid off and the compressor out, it is foam filled for insulation (if it is a newer one), will make a good redneck fishing boat
    raise minnows in it, just add air bubbler
    giant top bar bee hive

the list is endless if you just let your inner redneck come shining through

G3

4. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

If you're a beer drinker you can add a cheap thermostat and make it into a top notch lagering cellar :drinks: . I made some top notch lagers right up until my wife made me fill the freezer with food... What a waste of a good freezer.

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

A friend keeps a non-working chest freezer in the barn and stores animal feed in it. It's the only thing the critters haven't figured out how to open!

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I've read about people who use them as "back saving" raised bed gardens. Obviously, drainage would be an issue.

It's also probably about the right size for Mama Beek to make a week's supply of yogurt.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hmmm, I bet it would make more than a week's supply. I bet it would be a great way to regulate the incubation temp though!

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

g3 writes:
    The list is endless if you just let your inner redneck come shining through

tecumseh:
    and that's a beautiful thing.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Whew.....The delivery people just had no room on the truck to take the old freezer, which was here very conveniently while my wife was at work. :roll: And NO!....she did not buy that one.... :lol:

I'll be taking it over to the farm. I have convinced her that the list is many for the uses. So thank you everyone. Although she is not too fond of the redneck rowboat.... :Dancing:

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

We never even got into the "redneck hot tub" train of thought.

11. XLB

XLB New Member

you could stand it up on end, and make a meat smoker out of it. of you could do what my dad would probably do and take it apart and salvage the metal.

12. m.s.

m.s. New Member

a place to store glue, staples, small nails ?

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

XLB, your daddy is either gonna make me a smoker out of it (not likely since I want that barrel smoker we were looking at the plans for) OR he is gonna let me turn it on it's side to store drawn comb in to keep all the yucky little critters out of it.

We talked about the worm bed, parts storage, tool storage, feed bin, and a multitude of other ideas too. Reclaiming the little dab of metal in something like that is more work than it's worth a lot of the time.

bless yer little gizzard for thinking of yer daddy tho! ;)

14. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I am with bjorn I have a late model freezer in my basement used it only 6 month and there it sit=4yrs now and you know it the freon leak out so hate to throw it away keep telling myself only needs freon. maybe a wax melter.
    Don