USPS and Mailing Queens

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by larry tate, Apr 22, 2012.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

I guess the Post Office downsizing is taking place. We generally use priority mail to mail queens as it is less expensive for the customer and worked well in the past. Last Monday we send out some and none had arrived by Friday. The local PO was having a picket Mon. about not closing the branch and wanting all to sign a petition. That should have rung a bell. Called them Fri. and they have no clue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No problems up here in Jersey.

Your web-site says that you aren't taking orders for queens.
    Is this correct or just an old message?

3. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We are filling orders peviously taken. They should be filled next week and we will have some available after that.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok,

I'm hoping to do some splits in a few weeks and I was thinking of bringing in some new blood.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I know there has been some chatter about eliminating the Bryan Texas location as a distribution center which would mean packaged bees would have to be taken to Houston to be shipped. I don't think this would effect sending out queens in small batches but I would suspect it would require at least one or two extra days to make delivery.

Here getting the queens in the mail at the appropriate time (day and hour) seems to have more to do with them arriving in a timely manner than anything else.

6. adamf

adamf New Member

I put in a call to USPS customer service at the national level via my Senator's office.
    They finally responded and said that USPS Express Mail will remain the same but First Class mail is going to be downgraded.

We use USPS Express Mail or UPS Overnight depending on customer's location and choice. USPS Express mail is a better option for cost, but sometimes they "lose" the shipment when it is in FEDEX's hands (FEDEX is the USPS contractor). Having a queen shipment vanish is not good for us nor for the customer--this experience has had us eating the cost and moving all of our shipments to UPS overnight.

The USPS mentioned that we might be able to get a form of tracking with a bar code system, but I'm not anticipating that anytime soon.

Nothing is more unpleasant then having you hard-earned queen shipment vanish, and having to tell the customer you don't know where their queens are :sad:.

Hopefully, they'll sort this out. I have had a fairly good experience with USPS Express Mail.

Adam Finkelstein

7. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

took 5 days to michigan for a USPS shipment last week. I only ship USPS for east coast now, and I insure very heavily. Those are 50 dollar queens, I swear!

8. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

had UPS reject paying insurance because it was live, whereas usps is mandated to pay. so, good thing to note. If you have had UPS pay tell me how you got it.

9. adamf

adamf New Member

Paul,
    you have to file a claim with USPS. It takes time and awhile before you get paid--you need to supply an invoice to show the insured value.

When using USPS, we only ship Express Mail. They're about 90%. However, the 10% is a real pain to deal with.
    So far, in 2012, they've been 100%!

Adam Finkelstein