V 2.0 Who's building what over the winter ?

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Sour Kraut, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

The last attempt seems to have gone off the rails

So let's try again

What's your plans for projects this winter.

Since retiring from the Broadcast Technical Thing, I've been moving my 'electronics repair' spot into the house.

The heated part of the garage will be for equipment fabrication and assembly early in the year (as soon as the weather moderates enough that heating it doesn't break the bank) then later on extracting and bottling...made a REAL MESS in the kitchen last summer that I'm still cleaning up....

Need to assemble about 50 deeps, 50 mediums, plus frames and foundation.

Also need to make about 20 outer covers.

How about you ?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Need to make new migratory covers with feed jar holes in the center back. I make them from plywood and paint heavily. I put #8 hardware cloth on the inside and staple it. Get about 5 or 6 years, most of mine were made in 2012.

Lots cheaper than fancy in hive feeders

3. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

Let's see......since the weather here has warmed enough to not break the bank heating the shop.......

15 deep boxes and 200 deep frames + foundation
    16 bottom boards
    16 outer covers (bought the metal covering)
    4 outer covers for 12-frame ( 20 x 20 ) hives
    4 inner covers for 12-frame ( 20 x 20 ) hives

need to make four more of the Coats nuc boxes plus covers and 12 top extensions deep enough to hold quart jar feeders

as soon as it dries up, go set concrete blocks for hive stands...have about 24 sets to do..the grandson will learn about the business end of a shovel

4. Gypsi

I am getting fence rebuilt, I'm going to the bees today. My outyard hive starved during the last deep freeze, and my 2 here were doing well and the big wind blew the gate open and dumped them in puddles. So I'm not needing new woodware. Not enough flow around here when we are in drought to support more than one or 2 hives. Had my friend, whose yard the hive starved in, set up a bait hive with the equipment, I'm not buying more bees to put over there. he didn't have time to look (did buy a suit) and I didn't have time to look deeply before that freeze and they were definitely alive then. The brood hatched and the honey was on the wrong frame, young bees with heads in cell.

Good luck to you. Me I'm a little heart broken and a lot budget broken. And we are beginning to enter another drought

5. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

Well, I think I'm ready for the Big Push (expansion)

For the outlying sites (about 8-10 in all, 2-6 colonies each)
    36 bottoms, 36 tops, 36 inner covers

36 deeps w. foundation
    need to get my two Helper Grand-daughters over to make up another 36 ASAP
    about 50 mediums w. foundation + 20 of drawn combs from past years

For the Home Yard
    8 20" (12-frame) bottoms, tops, inners
    16 deeps
    the 12-framers here (all of here wil be 12's; not going to move them, want them close to graft queens from) will get 'narrowed down' to 10 frame supers when the top deep is about 70 % built-out

Have nuc's and packages coming to populate them all

I'm going for sheer numbers this year, so next year I have material for selling nuc's and I hope lots of honey

6. Gypsi

Good luck with your expansion. I've expanded by one swarm in one of my bait hives, and my friend whose yard is my outyard caught a swarm too, but it will be a while before I need to build much woodenware. Except bottom boards. I have to modify a couple of screened bottom boards because they have massive robbing issues. And they are commercially built.