Value of putting Megabee Patties with Pollen coming in?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CentralPAGuy, Mar 15, 2010.

1. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Ok, I created some patties by mixing Megabee with Honey in order to stimulate brood production. However, the girls have started bringing in the pollen. Has anybody tried to feed patties to the bees when pollen is available -- If so, what results did you get.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Pollen patties should be considered as insurance. Yes, we had a few days last week and the bees brought in pollen. But how much did they bring in the past three days? None.

What will they bring in next week when the temps are in the 40's or when it rains for four days straight.? None.

If the bees have no pollen stores, it guards against the brood starving or the bees eating the brood back out. And it also effects the quality of the brood.

Steady nectar and pollen, will not be seen for a few weeks yet.

If you start feeding pollen, you should continue until dandelions are seen huge numbers in tha back yard.

It's not about whether pollen is being brought in. It's about feeding the bees so they have protein when days allow no flight. And those days will be plenty in the next several weeks. Guaranteed!

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

It's been my experince the bees will still use up the pollen patties even if the foragers are bringing in pollen on every trip. The house bees will be getting the patties to add to the pollen the foragers bring in. By dandalion the hive is roaring with bees and can fill a honey super in just days.

:mrgreen: Al

4. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

murphy's law, make up pollen patties, the pollen will arrive the same day you put them in the hive!!! luckily I got mine in though, now we have lots of snow again!