Varmit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, Feb 27, 2010.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

This morning, by dawn's early light, I watched a raccoon ravage my bird feeder. We watched it climb over our fence, cross the neighbor's yard and climb up their brick chimney! I have read about skunks and bears doing damage to bee hives, but has anyone had any experience with raccoons? My hive was about 15ft away from the feeder. This explains why the dog was freaking out during the night.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have not had any coon problemswith my hives but I would not put it past them.

They are like squirrels, fun to watch but very destructive.

G3

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A bee club member said he had trouble with coons tearing the sbb's out of his hives and making a mess. he lowered his hives closer to the ground and it stopped. I have to put a elec. fence (4 wires high) around my 3 separate sweet corn fields ( about an acre each) to keep them out, and sometimes that doesn't work. :confused: Jack

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have had a full family of raccoons living in my garage for about three years now. I can't leave out fondant, or much of anything else as they do destroy much, but have never had trouble with the bees. Mainly I have nucs with migratory tops on, and I don't think I have had a top off at the home yard in a couple years. I would think if they could, they would at least pop the top. Of course, the skunks are another story.... :lol:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

speaking of the unforeseen quality of wildlife...

I did notice here last fall a coyote take out a skunk that was headed toward the hives in my home yard. roadrunner may be fast enough to keep ahead of coyote, but skunk was not.

the fight (which didn't last long) did cause one heck of a ruckus.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec, that coyote had to really be hungry. :shock: Grandad Brooks, said growing up in Texas co. Mo. when he was a kid, they ate everything. He said he never cared for skunk it was to string'y. :roll: I'll take his word for it. :mrgreen: Jack

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I've had trouble with coons here at home. Last year I trapped 14 of them. Friend got a nice healthy fine for releaseing them on state land last spring. I now have a dumping ground for the dead, makes good youte bait.
    Skunks are a problem too.

:mrgreen: Al