Varroa mites turning larvae to red Jello?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Watchdog2020, May 16, 2010.

1. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

Brand new to bee keeping and did my first inspection on our 2 hives that we started about 2 weeks ago. Both hives had around 5 full frames each with tons of capped and uncapped larvae. I only saw a few red spots on uncapped cells and figured a Varroa mite or two. Snapped pics to look at the frames later and found whats on the photo. Two of the cells look like liquefied, red larvae. NewBee needs some help as this is the only frame I saw areas like this.

[​IMG]

The Full Frame
    [​IMG]

Thanks – Jason

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

for myself I cannot see varroa unless I pull the larvae from the cell (for me somewhat after the cell is capped).

odd picture number 1, I can't tell what it is...

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would look closer at the frame. I think the pic is showing light reflections.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I would be inclined to remove a few of those " red dotted " larvae just to satisfy my own curiousity--and be absolutely certian what I was seeing--minus a few larvae won't hurt anything execpt for possibly you as the bees take execption to your intrusion and taking a few of thier " kids " away from them. At the end of the day only through removal and more detailed exiam will you know with anything resembling certianty.
    Barry :hi: :drinks:

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Hard to tell what we are seeing, but I never heard of varroa turning larvae into red jell-o. Seems like that wouldn't benefit the varroa. I suspect something else. But I don't know what.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

seem from the pic that two cells are showing exceptionally discolored larvae, in pic 1 reddish brown tintI would be inclined to as stated remove atleast those specific larvae for proper exiamination perhaps local beekeeping club could steer you to your state extension for proper analization. But no matter what I would not delay for any real length of time, a week is too long, in my opinion would much rather be safe then sorry.
    Good Luck keep us in the loop on this please.
    Barry

7. BEES4U

BEES4U New Member

Over the years, I have seen older larvae with a pinkish tint. (The entire open brood in a frame.)
    Ernie

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Watchdog2020..............what ever happened to this hive? we never got an update.

9. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

Sorry about that. The cells were capped and I'm guessing all went well because that hive is doing great. I havn't seen anymore of the strage colored lava.