Varroa & odd bee behavior

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bigwig, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

For a while now I've been quietly thanking my lucky stars because I have seen no sign of varroa - until today. When I pulled the monitor board beneath the srceened bottom board of one of my hives, there in the tray were about two or three mites {sad face}.

I then noticed something unusual in both of my hives. After opening them up, taking off the inner cover, and removing maybe one frame or so, I noticed at least one bee, maybe two, in each hive acting like they were having a fit. They were running all around, bumping into other bees who in turn began to chase them. I thought perhaps at first it was an intruder bee, but I don't think so I also witnessed one of these bees aparantly attempting to repeatedly sting the inside wall of the hive. She then made it on top of the frames, where she did the same scrambling-about behavior, and then fell out of the hive on to the ground.

I must confess that I decided to put her out of her misery. I also took the opportunity to examine her more closely but I could not see any mite on her at all. I also looked closely at other bees in the hive and did not notice any mites, though I did not pull many frames or look down into the lower hive body.

So what could be up, you think?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like a bee that is after a small hive beetle. A couple of my hives the girls will put on a chase just as you described and are relentless. Trying to grab the beetle up to sting it, chasing it all over the hive.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

That's interesting. I have also witnessed the bees chasing shb's, but never trying to sting them. What I saw today seemed less like a bee chasing something and more like a bee that was being harrassed by something. Kinda like the way a dog will spin around snapping at the air trying to catch a mosquito or horsefly that is pestering it.
    What was also interesting was how the other bees were responding. On the one hand they didn't seem to like the overall disturbance, but they also seemed to be possibly attempting to help the bee in distress, I'm not sure.

4. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I don't know about you all, but I'd just love to see a bee chase and sting a shb. It would would really do something for me. :thumbsup:

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They never get to sting the SHB. They will grab it up and curl around it trying to sting. Envision two bees fighting each other, but with only one bee

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sure glad we don't have any SHB here!

7. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Check out a video of my early trials with SHB, in which is observed a bee chasing a beetle. I also attempted to manually remove beetles with a Q-Tip moistened with oil. It kinda worked. Moving the hives into full(er) sun really made a greater impact.

http://youtu.be/7-WiiRz2XMs

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I watched a video, seems like they were from the UK, of some fellas that had a small bottle about the size of a small baby food jar, it had two hoses hooked to the lid, one had a mouth piece that the keep would suck on and the other he would hold in his hand and suck up beetles into the jar.