Vehicle opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Feb 20, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I currently have a 1991 3/4 ton GMC pickup truck.[​IMG] Disregard the snow!

Not the greatest thing on gas but is in great condition, have owned it since 2001 (second owner). It has a hitch and electric brake control set up I installed when I bought it.
    It also has a canopy. I find it really annoying when everything I ever seem to need when I am out at the bees, happens to be at the front of the box and I have to go on a climbing expedition, crawling over supers, lids, etc. to get that bee escape or excluder I need. That, and when I move hives I think the best I can squeeze in the back is 7 or 8.

I have thought about getting one of these instead. Not exactly as shown, not sure if I need duelly's, but you get the idea. Shelves for stuff to set on, everything in it's place. Dolly hives right up the back by myself. Hmmmmmm?

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar ... =351735765

It's either that, or maybe a flat deck trailer, something to haul hives and carry empty supers around with and just keep essential stuff in the back of the truck. Should a guy look for a tandem axle trailer as it would be less inclined to bounce when hitting bumps? (not sure the girls would care for that too much)

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi ... Z350997416

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i have a trailor im working on to haul bees....but i think its gonna be too small so maybe ill save it for something else an get a bigger one......ummmm.....whats all that white stuff ???

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I to have a pick up with a cap (canopy) on it and as Perry said it is a PITA but when you live in a large town/city its to easy for punks to walk by and lift items out. I have a chunk of rebar with a hook on one end that I can stand at the tailgate and snag most anything I want that always seems to be in the front of the bed.
    I am to thinking of getting a cargo van to keep all of my tools for removals in, as I don't move my hives/outyards much it may work out well, and I do have a 16 ft. trailer if needed. Jim

6. Robo

Robo New Member

+1 for a trailer. Cheaper to register and no insurance. I seem to collect trailers like riverrat collects tractors. My wife gets sick of me pointing out nice trailers when we are driving down the road. Now I do it just to annoy her....

The heck with lugging hives around, I have some permanently mount on a trailer. Tow it out in the spring and then home in the fall
    [​IMG]

I also have a small trailer that I built a box on for gear and a ladder rack on top that I can tow behind my Honda Fit when I do cut-outs. Talk about good gas mileage.....

7. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

The van would be out for me, wouldn't want all them bee's riding with me inside.
    The trailer works great until someone hooks it up, trailer and bee's gone at same time.
    I put a hitch lock on one of mine, they had a torch, cut it off. Cop's still lookin for it!

8. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Scared of a few lil bugs??? :lol:

9. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I hauled a few in a cargo van that I used to own. Let me tell you about the time I hit that big pot hole and the cover flew off. Learned to drive with my knee's while covering my face!

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi ... Z350997416
    This is what I'll need in a couple of years. I would rather go with flat bed, have GMC diesel 16ft cube van that could be easily converted, but I'm sick of insurance cost.
    Business liability insurance/workers compensation insurance/ GMC Savana 2500/GMC 1500 pick up truck.
    Too much.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this > http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi ... Z334722713

+ a tommy lift + a two wheel cart should get a person a long way in the bee business.

most of the van bodies have a door which closes off the cab from the back.

camper shells are really nice but invariable everything moves to the front, so you have to stoop or craw all the way to the front side of the bed to retrieve anything. a lot of folks here have camper shells with wide tilt up windows so you can simply pull stuff out the two sides.

I am not a fan of bumper hitch trailers. I prefer 5th wheel (we call them gooseneck since that is the dominate manufacture of such stuff here) since they bounce less and carry the load more evenly.

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Get yourself a rake or a hoe to reach the stuff up at the head of the truck bed. Also, you could build a two by four frame to go behind the wheel wells which would keep certain items fro sliding forward.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest for most folks that fuel economy is the ultimate issue. The longer the distance between yards the more important this factor becomes.

14. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Checked mine a cpl of times yesterday. Under 8mpg. But I can carry a heck of a load and pull a trailer w/ a Bobcat on it.

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Robo....thats what i want right there....thats what i have been planning to do with my small trailer....i also wanted an old blue bird bus fixed up for going to the groves....im never gonna be a 2000 hive comercial beek but i do have small dreams of lots O honey :)