Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I would recommend buying new. If you buy the one on ebay you will still need a helmet to use it and have to pay shipping charges twice (one for a veil and one for a helmet) It looks like it has been well used and with that you dont know how much life is left in it before it starts dry rotting. For about 30 bucks you can get a new veil and helmet through a bee supply.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
STOP!!!
Be careful at what you are buying.
If you look at the picture you will see that this veil has a zipper on it. Think about this, where is the other half of the zipper? You will need to have that to sew on your suit or coveralls, etc. Plus as mentioned above, you still need a hat.
This would not be money well spent, even if you got it cheap!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree with going with a jacket also. They are easy on and easy off, probably quicker that tying on a veil.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That veil is missing the suit that goes with it as Perry said. Make another choice. Jim

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Another thing to look for is the zipper, the older suites with zipper had coarse metal teeth on the zippers, the newer ones have fine teeth and are nylon, so if you buy a suite later, they may not match up. I'm with iddee on this, i also have the jacket with the hood and when it wears out i'll get another one. Jack

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
PerryBee said:
STOP!!!
Be careful at what you are buying.
If you look at the picture you will see that this veil has a zipper on it. Think about this, where is the other half of the zipper? You will need to have that to sew on your suit or coveralls, etc. Plus as mentioned above, you still need a hat.
This would not be money well spent, even if you got it cheap!

Good Eye Perry I missed that. If they was still wondering this should seal the deal to look elseware :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys rock!!! :thumbsup: PerryBee thanks for catching that! I'm glad I posted before bidding. Iddee I'll take your advice and keep an eye on the Sheriff. I like that setup.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I'll second the jacket also. Only draw back to a jacket is they are hot.

The veil you are looking at on fleabay, the first thing I saw was a rusty looking metal screen on the veil which will pull apart at the sewn seams. I have one just like it and bought it from Kelley's, and had the bottom half of the zipper sewn onto a pair of white coveralls. the veil and hat are much cooler.

Which ever choice you make I would go new for the first one.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
and thus the real reason and cause as to why god invented duct tape.

she really did have us beekeepers in mind when she had that marvelous idea!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I won the sheriff veil. $51.00 a good price?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tecumseh said:
a question for crazy8... a sheriff pollinator jacket?
yes, and gloves-both new

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
you will be a lot happier with that set up than the veil. I dont use the jacket I got the golden beesuit after wearing it I dont care for the veils.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
the 'pollinator jacket' is very functional... easy to get on and off and pretty much bee proof.

I still do like my alexander veil for some things. I never have had a 'sheriffs' jacket... however I do know that the Dadant equivalent that what you can see with the jacket on is somewhat reduced.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
That is another good point tec brings up.....visability.

The hat and veil combo that has the metal screen wire in it, I myself can see down into cells much easier than the plastic mesh that is in the Dadant jacket.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
G3farms said:
That is another good point tec brings up.....visability.

The hat and veil combo that has the metal screen wire in it, I myself can see down into cells much easier than the plastic mesh that is in the Dadant jacket.
Glad it's not just me. :lol:
When I have to really look for eggs, it's the old suit I dig out with the hat and veil combo vs the new gear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts