Ventilating with Migretory Top?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by larry tate, Sep 25, 2010.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

What are some of the best ways to ventilate hives that are overwintered with migratory tops? Suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Like a hollow tree. Let the bees do it. I think ventilating is the most over rated thing in beekeeping today.

A 3/4 inch hole near the top on the front of the hive body is all they need in this area. It also works as a top entrance if the bottom gets covered. They can reduce or block it with propolis if they see the need.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

iddee writes:
    I think ventilating is the most over rated thing in beekeeping today.

tecumseh:
    it does represent a real problem here and almost every year. for almost every box on a hive with 10 frames the consequence of poor ventilation is quite obvious.... typically 1 to 2 frames at least partially melted down.

ventilation at the top of the stack here is unnecessary during the winter time. during the coldest months I close mine off (see below description) with a bit of cloth or duct tape.

I use modified migratory covers. modified in that they have a thin rim built on the bottom side of the migratory cover to lift the cover slightly (1/4" or so). on one end I leave a 1' to 1 &1/2" gap in this built up rim. the extra space and air gap at the top of the stack seems to allow for much more positive ventilation. if I didn't have the time or inclination to modify my top covers I would use building shims which are commonly available in building supply stores. I would use two of these to produce a small crack at the top the the stack. I commonly use building shims with queen excluders during the honey collection season (although their placement is much lower in the stack).