Ventilation questions?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Jul 26, 2012.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I just added a second medium super(have 2 deeps and one medium super with 6-7 drawn out frames with some capped honey...definitely feels heavier than last week when I checked it)..put the inner cover back on and the lid. They have a screened bottom board and no entrance reducer. We cracked 100 for a week 2 weeks ago and then temps dropped with some thunderstorms. Some bearding but not much. We are not in the extreme drought/heat that the rest of the US is experiencing. Today pushing 90. Nights have been down to 50 and even 49 degrees. I am wondering if I should put something under the telescoping lid(like little pieces of wood to lift it enough for airflow but, not to let in any robbers)to give more airflow or should I take the cork out of the hole drilled in the second hive body. The hive is in full sun. This is a new hive and they seem to be doing pretty well but I don't want the guard bees to be overwhelmed by intruders. Thanks Halley

2. wadehump

wadehump New Member

I use small pieces of scrap pine from making boxes just put it under the lid . you can also remove the cork.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I use Popsicle sticks.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Bees do fine without our interference.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

You might want to consider reducing the main bottom entrance partly if you are having drought conditions and no more flow...to help prevent robbing.
    Yes if it were me I would add some upper ventilation- open the upper cork and/or prop a little twig under the top lid during the heat wave. Makes it easier for the bees to regulate the air and heat in the hive.

6. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I think I may just take the cork out...

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What my Yankee buddy Omie said:thumbsup:. Jack

8. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Where do you put the popsicle sticks?

9. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

We are not in the dire drought conditions that the rest of the country is experiencing. In fact we have had rain almost every day(evenings) accompanied by thunderstorms for the last week. We have had only one week of 100 degree temps which was two weeks ago and then high 70's-80's and finally back up to 90's this week. It gets down to 50 or below at night. We are living in the arid part of WA state and it has been almost muggy for a good part of the summer. And our little bees get to fly across the road to the irrigation ditch and river for water(although I keep a water source near their hive). They are still quite active and there are still wildflowers blooming. I am sure the dearth will come in August, but I am still learning about dearths and flows. Thanks for your tips.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I broke two popsicle sticks in half. I put each of the halves on a corner of the top of the inner cover below the telescoping top. This gives a small space all around the top of the inner cover, instead of just the little cut out place. I think if you put them between the top super and the bottom of the inner cover, the bees would try to seal up the opening.