Very Active here in NC

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yote Shooter, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

New to this and first day registered.
    Have a new hive from nuc this past summer. Deep hive body, filled it and added medium supper. Fed heavy with hive top feeder. Got 6 frames pulled out and filled before removing feeder. Now have been worried that they are so active that they may need feed.
    So put an entrance feeder out today. 60+ deg. Wow did they get active.
    Buy noon every bee returning was loaded with pollen. Could watch feed go down.
    Just had to see inside....So opened up and no moisture no fuss. Still have 4 1/2 frames filled on supper. Did not remove any frames just peeked. This is so much fun. Looks like thing are going well. Just thought I would share after finding this site.
    Lot of helpful reading. Thanks !

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome from another predator hunter.
    You have come to the right place to learn. Lots of friendly folks here who are happy to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of beeks from your neck of the woods here.
    Good luck.

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thanks. You bet I get after them yotes. Chasing the ducks in the morning. Little warm but still going.
    Fotunate that my mother lives right up the road from Brushy Mt Bees. Got my coppertop hive from there. Brother in law is helping me get started. Thanks again.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Welcome from an almost official 2nd year beek. I didn't start 'till March 2011 so I'm still a rookie lol.

It's a good thing I don't live close to Brushy Mtn or I'd bee broke :0 ROTFL

Nice folks here and very helpful.

Happy beekeeping!

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome aboard Yote. Glad you found us. Iddee is out your way so he could probly give better advise on when they kick in and start blowing through the stores. This will happen when brood rearing starts. I'm not sure I would recommend feeding liquid feed this time of year even though there is not a moisture problem now. I would worry about a sudden cold snap that may create a problem with the uncapped feed. Anyhow Iddee will set us straight if Im off base for your area. again welcome to the forum

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just NC doesn't help much. We have ocean, sandhills, piedmont, and mountains. Narrow it down to a city or area and I may be able to help.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Just my guess but would say he is in the mountains if close to BMBS.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I read that his mother lived near BMBS, not him.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

10. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

I'm in Salisbury, NC. Piedmont region. Sooooo many flying today. Some just out milling around but others working hard. Coming back heavy with different color pollon and lots of it. Big cloud of fliers out front and alot on top and front. Didn't see any fighting, so dont thing there was robbing going on. Just looks like they are getting started very early. Again this is first year and looking forward to getting another set up. Tim

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm 50 mile from you in Randleman. Crocus are blooming, along with 2 different tiny yard flowers. Don't know their names. I've been feeding on my porch and they are taking 1 gallon per day, today being the 3rd straight day.
    I have 5 hives, my neighbor 2, and I suppose I'm feeding his as well.

12. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Crocus?!? *sigh*
    (20 degrees here this morning...)

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

30 here at the moment. Was in low 60s yesterday. Forecast is 69 by Wed., Feb. 1.

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Time for pollen patties on my hives.

Plenty activity around my hives too. They took 3/4 gallon syrup yesterday and plenty drinking water on my water bowl.

15. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Again warm today.....So many out working. My main feeder is hive-top. Thoughts of using it now with just enough for them each warm day? I do have entrance feeder.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My boardman feeders are on my porch. The bees come from the hives when it is warm enough.

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If they take in sugar water this week, and it turns freezing next week, will there be a problem in the hive with extra moisture from the sugar water?

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No science here, but my belief is the house bees can process it fast enough to not have a problem days later, if they are carrying it a distance.

19. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

All the talk of pollen patties. I know this is used as feed but.... Every bee is coming in with high volume of pollen. Would they hopefuly have gotten some nectar also? I have very high volume of activity. A little brezzy here today or I would have looked inside a little closer. Feed that I have mixed is sugar water. Much more sugar then water, very thick. Not going fast since it is away from the hive. Forcast for the rest of the week is WARM. Just above freezing night time temps.

On another note when do I start looking for queen cells?

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Near 70 forecast for the next 2 days. Try to get in and look. I checked mine today and there is a lot of open stores. "uncapped honey" Be sure they have ample open space to expand. Start looking for queen cells when they have no more empty comb. Likely first of March, but possibly sooner.