Very Large Hive!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Jesse Young, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Jesse Young

Jesse Young New Member

Over the last summer, I managed to get 4 hives situated in bee boxes from hive removals in the community. One of the hives has done very well and the bees have filled up both the 10 frame brood box and winter box. I am concerned that I am going to have the hive swarm on me perhaps multiple times come spring. The amount of bees in the box is astounding! I have been reading methods on how to prevent swarming, but I don't have any spare boxes to split the hive and start a new one and with he amount of bees in there, I am not sure I would be able to keep up with removing queen cells. Does any one have ideas on what I could do to keep the large hive healthy and from swarming out on me?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

your best chance is do a split, you may have to buy or build boxes. Cheaper than buying bees.

3. Gypsi

your best chance is do a split, you may have to buy or build boxes. Cheaper than buying bees.

you will want to be sure one half of the split gets larva and a queen cell, the other half gets the queen. If no queen cells be sure eggs or day to 3 old larva are in the half without the queen. They will make a queen and it is getting later into spring, she should be able to mate

4. mark nic

mark nic New Member

got my first real peek into the hives the other day and all I can say is wow they are wall to wall bees, there is no doubt inmy mind that tey will swarm if I let them so I am building more boxes and getting ready to do some splits.
    I use 8 frame equipment and I am thinking I will get two splits out of each hive I am building to ten hives, going to reall learn this year how to raise queens and if I have another year as successful as last I am hoping to start selling queens and some nucs to help defer the cost of this hobby.

5. Gypsi

Get those boxes built. and frames. Good luck