Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some step-by-step instructions for removing moisture in capped honey on the frames, from the time you set the frame down in the box. YouTube videos are all for operations much larger than mine. I'll be doing this in my air conditioned dining room, as I have 10-12 frames at most to dry and don't have a small room I can give over to honey drying. I've gotten a lot of info and advice from beekeepers of varying sizes. EVERYBODY has an opinion and it's all different (I know, occupational hazard). I haven't used a refractometer yet, I'm trying to get one from my local club. Last year, my honey was very runny and I want to be prepared.

Do you uncap the frames?

I don't have a dehydrator, just air conditioning and fans. For a few frames, is that enough?

Do I need to tent this whole setup to make the area being dehydrated smaller?

How long should this take?

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
I need some step-by-step instructions for removing moisture in capped honey on the frames, from the time you set the frame down in the box. YouTube videos are all for operations much larger than mine. I'll be doing this in my air conditioned dining room, as I have 10-12 frames at most to dry and don't have a small room I can give over to honey drying. I've gotten a lot of info and advice from beekeepers of varying sizes. EVERYBODY has an opinion and it's all different (I know, occupational hazard). I haven't used a refractometer yet, I'm trying to get one from my local club. Last year, my honey was very runny and I want to be prepared.

Do you uncap the frames?

I don't have a dehydrator, just air conditioning and fans. For a few frames, is that enough?

Typically I am in drought and my bees only cap honey when it is thick so I really can't help, Sometimes my uncapped is thick enough, due to the drought. I just wanted to answer so that you know your question was heard.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Do you uncap the frames?

I put the frames under a plastic tent & run a dehumidifier. AC would work as well as long as you contain the frames under a plastic sheet. Dehumidifiers & air conditioners work the same way. It might take a day or 2 but it does work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts