Very weird swarm, what did I see.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Went on a swarm call. It was pretty big but on the ground. The guy had sat a empty log beside it and the were half in the log when I got there.
    I had a nuc box with 5 frames of drawn comb, empty and some with honey in it. I sat the box by the bees on the ground and a lot of them went in. I picked up the hollow log and shook them out on top of the frames. The I knocked the rest out on the ground in front of the nuc entrance.

Heres where its weird. I saw a very tight ball a little bigger than a golf ball. I was trying to break it up and couldn't. I put it in my had and finally got it to break and there was queen. I sat her on top of the frames and aout 8 or 10 bees balled up on her again. I tried to break them up and I must have brushes her of the front onto the ground, I think. I say I think because I put lid on nuc and left it there till dark.

I came back after dark to pick it up. I had a flashlite and there was a ball of bee on the ground in front of the entrance. About 15 or so. I took a small stink and broke it up and there was a queen. She was kinda doubled over and I thought she may be dead. I grabbed her by the wings and she straightened up and came to life so I dropped her on top of the frames and put the lid on.

I have no idea what just happened.

Why would a swarm be balling a queen like that? I mean it was hard to break them up. If they were trying to kill her, why would they have swarmed with her? They were very gentle, like swarms always are. If that was their queen then why were they not out of the box and on the ground with her. Could it have been a primary swarm that had another queen hatch and leave with them?

Just when you think you are starting to understand these women.:roll:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would say a primary swarm and a secondary swarm left at the same time. The balled queen was from the secondary swarm.
    Bet you will find a queen in the nuc box, give them 3 days to settle in.
    Contrary to popular belief....the queen follows the swarm, not the swarm following the queen.

Went on a swarm call last year and found a dead little virgin queen and several bees just mulling around on the ground. The primary swarm had left by the time I had got there.