Video of my Hive Inspections August 15, 2012

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I went into my two newer hives today. My Buckwheat should be blooming again in a week...

Hive #1- is my 2nd Strongest hive. The drew out most of the 1st Super and started storing honey in it. I added a 2nd Super!

[video=youtube_share;-jB5t6RPJLI]http://youtu.be/-jB5t6RPJLI[/video]

Hive #2 - The Hive that started it all! My package Hive has 2 Supers full of Honey and a 3rd super has been on it for almost 2 weeks now...I didn't go inside because I'm gonna Harvest the Honey in a week...

[video=youtube_share;M78bz6NfTJU]http://youtu.be/M78bz6NfTJU[/video]

2. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Hive #3 - is my weakest hive...I was feeding it and they are going big time in the bottom deep but hardly any comb drawn in the top deep. I added a frame of Brood and Eggs from hive #1 (same kinda Queen I think a Minnestoa Hygenic). Hoping for the best.

[video=youtube_share;y1I4NBN2q8A]http://youtu.be/y1I4NBN2q8A[/video]

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Nobody here likes me anymore?:lol:

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Don't say that, you just made you video so good that we have no question to ask, good job on video and I think you have got things in good control. Alot better than I do anyway.

kebee

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I was just being funny... everyone is probally busy!

Thanks for the compliment.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice videos, looking good. My mediums are so heavy and have so many bees on them it's getting tougher to lift them from the ends. I am convinced I will have an easier with a frame grip. My next supply order will have one in it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in video 1 I take it there are two deeps below the super we are seeing in the clip?

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Yes 2 deeps on hive #1

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Allow me a few general comments:
    1. I get the feeling that you feel a bit insecure with your manipulations of the frames. Fear not.
    2. I like the amount of smoke you use--not too much, not too little.
    3. The big black bee in video #2 looked like a drone to me.
    4. In the first video, you worked without the hive tool in your hand. In the third, you kept it in your hand---that is the method you should get accustomed to. In most instances the hive tool should be immediately available. After a while, holding it and manipulating at the same time becomes second nature.
    5. I liked the way you lined up your frames: compacted, with equal spaces at both side walls. That's especially important when you have frames for building.
    6. It wouldn't have hurt to take a look at one or two of the strong hive's frames that you want to extract--just to be sure all is as expected. What if you unexpectedly discover brood in them when you open them for extracting honey? (I don't wish it on you, but it is an event that happens more frequently than one would anticipate).
    7. Do you have only a flat hive tool ("J" type). They are good for some situations (particularly when there is a lot of propolis on the frames), but I think that a bent ("standard") hive tool would have served you better in your present situation. If you don't have both and can afford the standard kind, I would highly recommend that you get one.

I hope I don't sound too critical. That wasn't my intent---all told you did nicely. A lot comes with experience and that is certainly on its way. :thumbsup:

10. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Yep I'm really only worried about smashing a bee or two though...

Thanks for the Compliments!

I try to always keep the hive tool in my hand...I think I set it down to move the video cam and then lost it for a bit...You gave me that advice earlier in the year and I have been trying to follow it and was mad when I couldn't find it! :lol:

I checked my good hive 2 weeks ago when I added the 3rd super so I am hoping the honey is still there and capped...Still waiting for my extractor it ships tomorrow cause one thing I ordered was Back Ordered and it just came in...

I'll have to look into that hive tool...Thanks I like critisim it helps you learn!:cool: