Vinegar?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

We're in a heat wave here with no rain and despite the fact that I'm keeping the bees' usual watering holes full, they have started drinking from the chicken waterer! problem is, I supplement the chicken's drinking water with vinegar. Is there any way that might harm the bees?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Apple cider vinegar won't hurt them. It may even help.

Distilled vinegar, I don't know.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Same thing happens here. We often supplement the critters with some ACV in the hot weeks of the year. It doesn't seem to have ever bothered the bees at all, it just has loads of minerals in it..... it's probably good for them as long as it isn't too strong a mix.

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks for the response. Apple cider vinegar is what I use. . .and after posting I remember reading somewhere that some people add apple cider vinegar to their feeder sugar syrup to keep it from going moldy. I feel better knowing my girls are in no danger!

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

not trying to highjack the thread but this on is killing me got to ask without googleing it. What is the advantage of adding vinegar to the chickens water.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

When they are stressed because of the heat it helps to keep them laying well. I've been told a few times that it's supposed to increase the likelihood of female offspring, but we've not tested that one out. It stimulates thirst and appetite when they are droopy too. It just acts like a tonic to the systems of most livestock.

It has some health benefits for people too.

7. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

its good for us people too. If your out messing w/ the bee's and you sweat ALOT its good drink for cramps caused by dehydration, that and pickle juice.
    Thx mama b I'm gonna try it on my chickies!

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I hope your girls enjoy it too BH! We use about 1/4 cup or so for each gallon of water, less than that most of the time but when it's this hot we make sure they get plenty. When we had the goats we always kept it in their water too.

For us peoples we like to make switchel if we have to be out working in the summer. I'll get the recipe for you if you want it but it has molasses and ACV..... it sure does keep the pep in your step during hay season, or weeding the garden, or mowing the grass....

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I would like the human recept. I've been having some horriable cramps of lat and Kare really fusses when I mix up a glass of water and salt to fill what i have lost.

:mrgreen: Al

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Here ya go Al.

Switchel
    2 c sugar
    1 c molasses
    1/4 c apple cider vinegar
    1 t ground ginger
    1 gallon water

mix all together and drink a bit every time you take a break. It's a little heavy on the sugar but you burn so much working in the heat that I'm not sure it doesn't balance somehow..... at least none of us ever have trouble with it. The molasses is full of minerals and vitamins. The kids all think this is far better than gatorade or any of that stuff.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think I'm going to try it with 1 1/2 cup honey in place of the sugar.

"honey to sugar ratio=3/4 to 1"...

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

it's just as good that way..... i think a little better even since it doesn't have that sugary aftertaste!

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Thank you!!! I think I'll do the honey too. Honey is cheaper for us than sugar for some :D :D :lol: :lol: reason.

:mrgreen: Al