Virgin queen trapping

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by Eddy Honey, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My best hive is re-queening itself.
    I was planning to make a nuc from this hive with a frame of eggs, frame of capped brood, and 1 filled with nectar/pollen.
    What I found was mostly capped brood and honey and 2 frames with lots of capped queen cells and no eggs or brood young enough for my nuc. I took one of the two frames with q-cells in lieu of eggs for my nuc.
    This frame has 9 cells on it and I was wondering if there is a way to cage the virgins when they hatch so they don't kill each other? I have a hive at another yard with a failing queen and wanted an extra queen for that hive. These are overwintered genetics :thumbsup:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You can fashion a push in cage out of wire mesh and push it into the wax, leave enough room for the queen to come out of the bottom of the cell.

I would just cut two or three of the cells off and install them into the failing hive after you pinch the old queen.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks G3. The cells are on frames with plastic foundation. Have you done it with plastic before?
    If I trap a virgin, do the nurse bees need to be able to tend to the virgin?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope, another reason I do not do plastic.

I guess since you have several cells you could try cutting one out with a sharp knife.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks Perry. That's awesome!
    Did the hives accept those queens?
    Do I need to trap them all? I mean if there is a loose virgin running around can/will she sting the caged queens?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Eddy. Some did, some didn't. I did notice when I introduced them directly they were basically ignored. I don't know if timed release had much of an effect.
    I would imagine a loose virgin could do some damage alright, but as long as you have all the cells caged you should be OK.