Vitex....nice surprise

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by LilWilli, Nov 6, 2009.

1. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I was out pulling dead weeds out of my vitex patch, trying to gain access to a few MN Hygeinic hives back in there. To my delight, I find that the vitex are still blooming on the larger ones. I need to expand on those, for sure.
    LilWilli~Rick :D

2. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

vitex?? :confused: sounds like something you get at an adult shop

Mick

3. Omie

Omie New Member

And here I was thinking health food store. LOL

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Looks like it needs a way warmer garden zone than my zone 5!

6. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

In any length of warm weather, it will bud out and bloom. Dead-head the spent blooms, and it will rebloom again and again. Unfortunately, you may get a visit from the law before it blooms, as it looks just like marijuana when young.

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I think of it as a warm climate lilac, except it repeat blooms. Besides the blue, it comes in pink and white. I've not seen the white for sale, but saw some in a defunct business park and took cuttings. We have 2 blue and 2 white. Hope the girls like them.

It's also called "chaste tree" and that came from an unconfirmed story of the monks making tea from the leaves to help them with their vow of chastity. :D

We gave garden tours at the last place we lived, and had the ladies from the local drug rehab center out once a quarter...they mentioned the leaves looked a lot like marijuana, and who would know better?

I'm not sure, but a health food store and an adult shop might just be a good match. :lol:

Walt

8. rast

rast New Member

Lets see, its anti- libido and increases fertility. How's that work?

9. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

...that's for the bees to work out... :Dancing:

10. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I acquired two Vitex through our bee club's silent auction. Mine are doing well, even if they were seedlings when I got them. They are supposed to do well here in our zone 5. I think I am to expect them to die back to the ground every winter, but so do Crepe Myrtle in this locale.

11. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

That poses no real problem, as the root system will remain intact, and ready to go in the Spring. You will see a surge of new growth that would put a Miracle- Gro commercial to shame.
    BTW---Chlorothalonil (Daconil or Bravo), a fungicide, will give up to 5 extra degrees of protection against freezing or frost if applied 24 hours before the event. I learned that in my apricot growing days. It is also a beautiful blue.