Vitex

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 7, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have 6 Vitex plants on the farm, two them are 12 ft or more tall with blooms all over them, the bees work them from morning to night.:thumbsup: I have taken the seeds and tried to start more plants, but fore some reason they don't germinate? I have heard that you can take cuttings from them and get starts? if so how and what time of year could you do this? would appreciate any info on this. Thanks in advance. Jack

2. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Several years ago I saw some white Vitex at an industrial park that never became an industrial park; seems they couldn't find tenants.

Anyway, my wife and I took cuttings in the Spring from new growth and 1st year growth (semi-hardwood). None of the new growth struck, but we got about 70% success with the 1st year growth.

We cut a 6-8" stem at a leaf node, stripped off all the leaves except 4 or 5 at the top, and planted then in a 50-50 mix of perlite and vermiculite (potting mix can be used also). When planted, make sure some of the stripped leaves are below the soil; these become roots, in theory :beg:.

Walt

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Walt,I'll give it a try. I got my start of vitex from my 87 yr. old mentor, his vitex bushes had sprouts come up under and around them, mine have not done that? These vitex bushes here have a purple or lavender bloom, and produce thousands of seed, why they don't germinate i don't have a clue:???:. Jack

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A fellow beekeeper from my bee club brings in small sprouts of vitex to share. He always brings them to the meeting around the first of June. Whether these are seedlings or shoots from the roots, I don't know. The two vitex I have in my yard have come from him.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Our previous residence had both purple and pink vitex. As I recall, the pink had new plants come up, but the purple never did. We brought 2 white with us when we moved (2007) and they have not yet self seeded.

Walt

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Where i got these, the vitex had a trunk and was about the size of a plum tree. I think Howard kept trimming it back to one stem to make do that? If his tree was the mother tree of mine you would think they would also? maybe they have to be a certain age before the put on sprouts By the way Walt do the bees work the pink and white hard? the purple ones are abuzz from daylight till dark and ive checked it after a hard rain and the bees are flying, there on it.:thumbsup: Jack

7. srvfantexasflood

I have noticed the amount of available moisture effects the amount of nectar the vitex produces. My vitex have quit blooming for the season and are working on seeds.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes, mine is starting to go to seed:sad:, but the acre of buckwheat is abuzz in the mornings, even after rains.:thumbsup: Jack

9. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Jack, I think my girls are just lazy. :wink: I haven't seen them on the purple vitex...maybe because they're in the shade? I have seen them on the white, but not in any great quantity. The one plant that I recall them really liking is the Prairie flame-leaf sumac. We planted a couple of these at the old place and when they were in bloom the bees would cover them. Still trying to find some to dig up around here. We have a different soil, so the plants may not survive here...maybe that's why we haven't found any. :doh:

Walt

10. srvfantexasflood

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We have several types of sumac in SW Mo., they are in the cashew family (anacardiaceae).Three that i can think of,Fragrant sumac,Smooth sumac, and the Winged sumac, also called flame leaf sumac. I'm thinking that's what you had, the bees work sumac hard and it makes a good honey, i get alot of sumac honey from my bee yards in the wooded areas.I would like to get Vitex started in these areas and along creek banks for a late forage, i have got False Indigo started in some of these yards, it flowers in May and June and the bees work it hard, but the blooms only last a little over a week. The bees love it, but it spreads like wild fire, which is fine in those areas.Jack

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

great thread. I have a volunteer bush, about 12 ft tall, that I had no idea what was. Not a spring bloom on it, i think it did go flame colored last fall, and the leaves match the prairie flame sumac. Waiting to see if maybe it will bloom, supposed to bloom in summer? drought hardiness is superb, I do not water this, I did top it the first year it came along when it was a pencil thin shrub, I thought it was a nandina then, but it is not, the leaflets are too long and broad....

I have been unsuccessful in getting seeds from my blue vitex to start, but I did make some pms tincture from them and gave it to a daughter. I have been told air layering is the best way. I might try some cuttings in the greenhouse this fall when the heat "goes off".

13. srvfantexasflood

Answer to my own question

I asked the fellow club member about his seedlings. His Vitex tree drops seeds which germinate and he digs up the seedlings, which he shares with club members. I also noticed a small seedling in my flower bed that must have germinated this fall.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The purple Vitex by the spring is between 12 to 14 foot tall and has thousands or millions? of seed on it, i'm going to try the seeds again when they get dry and start to drop. Do any of you know how to start a Catalpa tree from the bean? i have planted the whole bean in potting soil without results? and have found Catalpa trees growing 300 yards or more from the trees where no beans or what ever? should be there, but the tree got there some how.:???: Jack

15. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Going to try this:

From the results it appears that the germination capacity is increased significantly as as result of the two treatments. The treatment soaking seeds in boiling water for 15 seconds had the best results, but these were not significantly different from the other treatment, soaking the seeds 24 hours in room-temperature water. There was, however, a difference between the response of the V.pubescens seeds to the two treatments in terms of germination rate. The different from the control treatment, whereas the difference between the control and soaking seeds in boiling water results in a very significant difference. In summary, the two treatments appear to have the same effect on the increment of the germination capacity of V.pubescens seeds. Both treatments also have a positive effect on the rate with which seeds germinate, but soaking the seeds in boiling water has a greater effect than soaking seeds in room-temperature water. Subjecting V. pubescens to any of these treatments significantly increaces the success rate of germination and the speed with which the seeds germinate. The treatment of soaking seeds for 15 seconds in boiling water is slightly more effective than soaking the seeds for 24 hours in room water

[h=2]Topic:[/h] effects, vitex, seeds, germination
    http://www.cifor.org/online-library/browse/view-publication/publication/490.html

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Walt,When the tree in the yard was about 10 years old the honey bees were all over it, but for the last 10 years the only bees i see on it are Bumblebees, and butterflies? With the sweet smell they give off, you would think the bees would work them hard, kind of like the Multi floral rose bush in our area, they don't work them either?:???: Jackl

18. srvfantexasflood

Having reread some of the replies to this post, I see that last year I commented about how my Vitex quit blooming because of lack of moisture. Just the opposite this year. We have had periodic rains and the blooms (and scent) just keeps coming. I have seen 4 different kinds of native bees plus my honey bees all at one time working the Vitex.