walk away split success

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 3, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Got to say I did 10 walk away splits 5 weeks ago and let them make there own queen all ten took and have a laying queen shooting a good patern i just moved them from nuc boxes to 10 frame equipment getting ready to split 10 more hope i have that good of luck with them all the hives i split are feral bees i caught as swarms in the last few years.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Way to go. Keep us informed as you make the splits.

3. Monie

Monie New Member

No kidding! That's exciting!!

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i been doing a lot of playing while trying to rebuild i split one 4 ways friday i will let you know how that works i put the 4 nucs in a semi circle where the opening of the original hive was then made sure each nuc had 2frames of brood 1 frame of eggs and 2 of honey it will be interesting to see if this works i will keep you posted

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I hope you have a good source for sugar or hfcs. You're gonna need it if all these splits are successful.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yea cant get hfcs here any more i used to be able to get it by the 55 gallon drum from hillsboro but right know its 61 cent a lb sugar but they have slowed down for now we got a good flow on but when that ends then look out last year sugar was around 47 cents a lb here guess im going to have to round up a kettle and some copper tubing :drinks: