Walker's Low Catmint

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Jun 3, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Last year I planted one pot of Walker's Low Catmint in my "prairie pollinator garden". http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/NEWLS.html
    I had purchased it because I saw honey bees working it at the garden store. In my own yard, it has to be my bees favorite nectar source to work. Also, this plant was only supposed to get about 24 inches wide and I would say it's gone beyond that to about 4 feet. It is also in some of the worst clay soil in full sun next to the street and driveway, aka the hell strip. This plant has been in bloom for at least 3 maybe 4 weeks already.

Since our bee club's educational day is coming up this weekend and they are asking for items for a silent auction, I decided I would purchase another Walker's Low Catmint. I'm going to put it in a pretty pot, I have on hand, with a description of how my bees love to work it. I think that will make a great item for auction. I also have a pair of yellow garden gloves and a matching trowel I think I will add to the package.
    The proceeds from the silent auction will fund youth scholarships next year. The scholarships provide the hardware, bee packages, bee suits etc. plus a mentor for the first year for selected applicants.

2. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I wonder if those will do good in Florida?

3. srvfantexasflood

Crackerbee, this website gives very reliable info for this gardening zone. http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plan ... ?code=T160
    It says that it doesn't do well in the heat and humidity of the south, but appreciates some afternoon shade.
    I have seen it listed for as far south as zone 8 and also zone 9.

4. srvfantexasflood

Happy to report the gardening package I put together brought in $35 for the youth scholarship fund. For those of you that may be doing something similar in the future, a beekeeper brought in a nuc box he had made complete with frames and foundation, painted white with bees painted on the sides. I believe that this brought in the most money per item at $60. He explained to me that this wasn't a kit, but he had cut and assembled on his own. I was impressed.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Just be aware when you plant it... Catmints (at least the variety I have) are a prolific seeder. You are likely to end up with catmint everywhere. It's in my other gardens, it's in the yard. It's in the veggie garden. One year it's over here, next year it's over there. The bees love it, so I let it grow unless it interferes with something else. Cabbage moths also seem to love it, though.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Thanks for the advice srvfantexasflood,I ordered 2k seeds(seemed like the best price I found)from this site for 11 bux shipped:

https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flowe ... -seed.html

7. Omie

Omie New Member

the website says the Walker's Low seeds are sterile:
    http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/NEWLS.html

i have a bunch of it now in my bee garden border, the bees do love it! :thumbsup:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

My Walker's Low Catmint is covered with about a dozen bumblebees now at any given time...they are loving it! Seems that at a different time of day the honeybees visit it too.

9. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I'm sowing my Walker's Low Catmint seeds this week,most the other wildflowers I planted this year have bolted an gone to seed,so this week it's tiller time then see what grows this summer along with the Walker's Low Catmint.

10. srvfantexasflood

Let us know how that works for you. Do you have nectar plants available all year in Florida?

11. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Let us know how that works for you. Do you have nectar plants available all year in Florida?[/quote]

I'm not real sure about what nectar plants bloom and when,I'm still learning that part,and I think the only time of year we don't have anything blooming is Dec.Rast could answer that question better than I can.I did see where Catmint plants bloom in Sept. so that should give the plants plenty of time to grow,if the brutal heat here doesn't kill them first.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Like many herbs, catmint is pretty tough and drought resistant- more so than petunias and geraniums, anyway. Don't be afraid to trim it back each time a wave of flowers ends- it will keep coming back and blooming some more!

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Crackerbee wrote:
    "I think the only time of year we don't have anything blooming is Dec."

All of Canada replies:
    "Sigh" :lol:

14. srvfantexasflood

I read about trimming it back so that it can repeat bloom. I'm waiting for the first wave to end. It's been blooming for a month!

I planted two more plants this week. I enjoy watching the honey and bumble bees work it over.