Wall of Water

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by srvfantexasflood, Apr 27, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Has anyone heard of a product called Wall of Water? Basically, if I can describe it, it's a sheet of pale green heavy duty plastic that is in a circle shape. There are channels that are vertical. The channels are filled with water and you place the ring of water around your tomato plant or any other heat loving plant you would like to give a head start to. I bought a package last fall and have been waiting for the opportunity to try it out.
    We are having a very cool, wet spring so I thought I would try the Wall of Water with one tomato plant. The instructions say to fill the Water of Water and put in place one week prior to planting. This is supposed to heat the soil. Well, who needs instructions? I saw the ground was dry enough to dig and took the opportunity to plant and then place the Wall of Water. After 5 days I checked the progress and was impressed. The tomato plant had doubled in size! So, I filled another Wall of Water and planted another tomato. At this rate it's going to take for ever to get those tomatoes in the ground.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Those things are handy for frost protection, too. Just fill them with warm water and place them around young plants. When we lived in Yankeedom we did the same with big milk jugs filled with hot water. It keeps the ambient temperature around the plant just a few degrees warmer. Doesn't work with a hard freeze, but can protect from a nipping frost.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I've heard of them but never used them.... sounds like they work pretty well for you. Out here we just cut the tops off of milk jugs and set over the plants and that's enough help for them....if we get a forecast for a hard frost after I plant I pile bunches of leaves up on the milk jug hotcap and that's enough added protection.

If your wall of waters isn't big enough or is hindering you from setting out the rest of your plants you can build a cloche to set over the row. My kids whip them out pretty quickly if we get a cold spell, and even in the dead of winter we have greens and most of the time lettuce growing under them, they are great for starting seeds too.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Great way to recycle, Mama Beek. It's great to have kid power.
    I have so little full sun areas in my yard with all the mature trees that I have dug up 100 sq ft in the front yard. In that spot I am building a pollinator/prairie garden. I am also mixing in tomato and peppers for us people. The wall of water trick is working for me. As this area is directly in front of a gate one can drive through to the back yard, I planted white clover down the middle so that there is still access, when needed, to the back yard.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Mama Beek - you need to cut the BOTTOM off the milk jugs. Then when it gets a little warm or sunny, you just unscrew the cap and give them a bit of ventilation.

My plastic tunnel got shredded by last week's 58 mph winds. Can't complain, I got 3 winters out of it. Never had any luck with greens growing under it, but that may have something to do with the fact that I find mouse nests under it in the spring. :shock:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, i have plastic tunnels and a mouse never gits in them. i have to many ball bearing mouse traps. I'll send you one if you want. :mrgreen: Jack

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL, Hobie.... I guess I'm more tired than I thought I was! More and more often I find myself saying things backwards :oops:

your gardens sound lovely srvfan!