Walnut Tree Hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by blueblood, Apr 12, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

So, I'm out on patrol and an off duty friend of mine tells me he was having a walnut tree cut down last week when they had to stop because of bees. Two slices from the top revealed the surprise. Unfortunately my co-worker did what non-bee lovers do, he sprayed the hollowed logs with bee killer. He said they were still flying around the top of the tree. I just went over to check. There are several bees working on the log appearing to be cleaning/repairing/pollen collection. Bees are still flying 35-40 feet up on top of tree. Of course being a new keeper, my mind is racing with questions. Also, i'm on a waiting list for two nucs and would love to save some money if I can. Will the spray cause issues down the road? A trash can with a lid to transport? Smoke them? Are they africanized? They look very similar to my Italian bees but beefier and a tad bit darker. With bees at top of the tree and in the logs, where is the queen likely to be? The logs wood be easy to transport. The top of the tree is gonna be tricky...any ideas out ther? Suggested course of action? I have pastedsome pics. I tried to get as close as I could. They seemed a bit more aggressive than mine. One of them darted at the back of my head but did't sting. Very cool to see them in raw nature, first time.
    IMG_20120412_103437.jpg IMG_20120412_103431.jpg IMG_20120412_103425.jpg IMG_20120412_103421.jpg IMG_20120412_103234.jpg IMG_20120412_103059.jpg IMG_20120412_103041.jpg IMG_20120412_103017.jpg

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Accidently attached a pic of my newest hive construction...wasn't able to remove...

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That little chunk on the ground is not the whole hive, I would say it is still in the top of the tree.

If the tree cutters have a bucket truck or better yet a crane truck, have them cut you a 10 foot section and lay it on your trailer to take home. A bed sheet stuffed into the ends of the hollow log work great or staple some screen wire over the ends, or duct tape a bed sheet around the ends, or....

Get your bee suite and go investigate a little more.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Awesome advice...thankyou...I didn't even think of using screen..this ought to be an adventure...

5. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Is there any act of man kind where duct tape isn't a possible solution:rolling:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow! Massive undertaking...

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The two ladies that lived there wanted me to have the bees soooo bad it was unreal. I loved it!!

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You gotta like when people are excited to give you gold. Besides the possibility of getting a free hive, I will end up with nearly a couple riks of walnut for firewood and whatever I want to do with it. I just spoke with my my friend. He said his tree topper would not proceed until I had a game plan. I explained to him what I saw you do. We shall see where this goes Saturday, Monday or Tuesday. I would never had believed something this crazy and challenging would have befallen me this early in my bee keeping venture...ha!