Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
84 degrees today, sunny, perfect day for looking at the hives. well the 4th queen is now laying in a nuc and Im up to 6-double deeps and 6 single deeps, all are 10 frames, and also have 4 nucs with 3 of them just about ready for 10 frame deeps. funny to think last July this all started from 1 trap out,its not even been a year yet. Im planning on going all deeps for honey boxes (back ached after typing that) still wondering what kind of a honey crop Im going to get this year, Im thinking the 6 doubles should give me some being that there full doubles this early but they still have all that new comb to build so who knows.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I wouldn't worry about honey. I would hit Craig's list with nucs for 125, singles for 180, and doubles for 250. Then I would buy more equipment. You will never get those kinds of returns from honey.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yeah sell some nucs! Duude! :thumbsup:
You can buy some cheap cardboard 5 frame nuc boxes too, and give them with the 5 frames as the nuc- just be sure to include the cost in your nuc price.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
not that I want any argument from Omie but do not buy those 'cheap cardboard' 5 frame nuc boxes.... they are a nightmare just waitin' to happen. now the Jester's EZ Nuc boxes made from the plastic signage stuff is another matter <well designed, go together quite well are very tight and have a multitude of other purposes.

as to post #2 above... I do believe that Iddee missed his calling... which should have been marketing. then again if he had gone that route he would be stinkin' rich and never think about hangin' out with folks like myself.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I think of the carboard nucs as a cheap folding travel box simply for transporting 5 frames around in. Once the customer gets the nuc home and the frames transferred into a 'real' hive body, they can fold it back up again and store it. It's sort of like a cardboard cat carrier that animal shelters sometimes give out when people pick up their new adopted pets. You can charge the customer for it if you don't need it back. I have a few nice wooden nuc boxes, and a half dozen cardboard nucs folded up for selling a few nucs in.
I'm assuming people have a regular size hive waiting to put their new nuc into. I agree that i wouldn't keep cardboard nucs out in the rain or use them as a permanent thing. But putting 5 frames of bees into an 8 or 10 frame wood box for the drive home in a car might be tricky for a new BK buying your nuc?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts