Wanna make some $$$?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jan 3, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't know if this is the right forum but anyway.
    Just something for you all to consider, especially if you are finding yourselves particularly bored around this time of year. Instead of sitting around reading seed catalogues (always a good thing), consider sitting down and writing a short story or two about some of your beekeeping adventures.
    Riverrat, I am always reading your stuff on the forum as well as many of the others that post on here. There is a lot of untapped talent here and experiences just waiting to be told. I can only imagine some of the stories the Rat or Iddee could spin about what's happened to them on occasion.
    Best of all, there are small publications out there that are looking for the kind of stories you all could tell and guess what, they PAY for them. (I sold two this last year and a third is pending) You won't get rich but it's better than nothing. Going rates up here go from 15 cents/word to $1/word depending on the magazine.
    Might help with the Christmas bills coming in.

Perry

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

A proper southern gentlemen knows that the best ones you don't ever tell.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I wonder if you compiled your short stories into one, larger e-book and sold it yourself, if you could make more money??

just a thought...

4. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

hey wish I could sell the inf. you can pick my brain what's left of it.
    :goodpost: :yahoo:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wally's Baby Beek:
    Probably, but I haven't been keeping bees long enough to have that many stories.

Fatbeeman:
    I can only begin to imagine some of the information you could write about.

Seriously, I make it a point now to have a digital camera handy when I go to a bee yard or to look at a cutout or swarm catch.
    - I sold one story about two sisters who owned a motel with bees in a dormer. They didn't want them killed so a friend and I did a second story cutout complete with pictures. = $315
    - Second story I sold was about a big old bear of a guy with a logging crew. They dropped and drug a bee tree to a clearing and started to cut it up when bees chased em. In January, temp -15 c and he calls me up desperate to try and save the bees. I went and tried (took a camera) but they ended up dying out.
    Tough old guy, wouldn't think it would bother him but it did. = $180
    - Third story is about the trapout I posted pics of in the swarm section. Should be around = $280 - $300
    These stories are not that long, maybe 1,000 words, a little over a page/page and a half. Maybe not a lot of money compared to selling nucs and such but hey, helps beef up my boy's education fund.

The interesting thing about being a beekeeper is some of the fantastic/interesting people you meet through the bees.
    Actually thinking about it, I haven't met anybody who keeps bees I don't like. :mrgreen:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have heard of these deals and apprecieate the offer I have lived a very full life for a man of 45 and feel I am blessed at what I have to share. you are more than welcome to share any story I post and if you can make a couple bucks thats even better yet. I post daily on my facebook page stories quotes sayings that I make up I have lived or even old wives tales I change around to put me in the middle of then post them. I try to do this every day. I have a cousin in california that records theses off face book and is placing them in a book that one day may be published. Dont get me wrong Im not a bible tosser ooops I mean thumper but do believe god gives everyone a talent of some kind and its up to them what they do with It. I choose to share it with the world free of charge. My pay check is priceless and that is the hopes I have somewhere made a difference in someones day or life and they will remember that day for years to come. This is the same reason I drive crippled children to the shrine hospital and spend the 7 hour trip talking with them. They will forever remember the guy they never met that walked up to them before getting in the van and has a funny hat on and says hi my names farold the callme uncle hoovie or riverrat or just rat for short and since you are under age i wont tell ya what the older people call me. whats yours. micheal (with eyes lighting up) well micheal im homeless and was rumaging thru the trash out back this here temple when I found this funny hat put it on. Then this gentleman here said come with me your driving a van to st louis. so first off I dont have a drivers liscense I have never drivin a van and the only time I ever went thru St louis i was in a box car that had an open door. But its your lucky day because your ridding along with me so this will be fun for both. The other driver says hey that aint true. Then I fess up and say yea hes right I fibbed I didnt find the hat he gave it to me when he caught me rumaging thru the trash the guy that was suposed to drive didnt show up. I do this to all new kids I drive. Bet there aint any of them that will forget that over a life time. and that my friend is priceless. And I might add I am flattered you choose to use some of my sayings and wisdom I scare ole iddee hes afraid I might run out of posts which is a legitamet concern but those who know me well and know the life I have led can tell you its going to be awhile before that happens (WinkWink: Iddeee)

7. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

A Dollar a word could fetch up some serious Shotgun shell money... aw rrrr some beer money... ifin a feller likes beer w00t!

8. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

perry bee
    come write a story here we can split the money.
    Don
    :drinks: :lol: :beg:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Don:
    You know I should! Problem is, you're pretty much a legend and folks wouldn't know if I was writing fiction or non-fiction :mrgreen:
    Matter of fact, I could make all kinds of stuff up :shock: and folks would probably still believe it. :lol:

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've done enough stupid things already to have more'n one story... so which publications pay for beekeeping stories again?