Want new genes/Queen...now what?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bwwertz, Mar 28, 2012.

1. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I'd really like to get a new queen. Was looking at various queens at Tate's Apiaries in Winston Salem. I have one strong hive with a queen (unknown age) and one hive and one nuc with queen cells present (I'm trying to split hives to pollinate for a local farmer). What should I do? I have equipment to start another hive and another nuc, but I don't want to get a package of bees (most sold out anyway). I hate the thought of killing a queen, but I'd love to introduce new genetics into my hives/area. Also noticed (not a bad thing) that a lot of my bees are becoming increasingly more "black" - less golden colored like they used to be. Which makes me think that the queen in my original hive (strongest) has requeened at some point without me knowing it. This hive was purchased from a local beek in June-ish of 2010 and I don't recall any really dark bees. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

(Iddee....the hive where I self selected :eek: the best queen cell has since started two more - total of three. I'm saved by the bees) =)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good news. Glad you didn't lose it. Tate's Apiaries has "Wayne's bees" queens. I would suggest you try one or more of them.They are the only bees I keep any more. I sell any others I happen to get from swarms or cutouts.

3. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I read a little bit about Wayne's Survivors. Could you tell me more about them and your reasoning? Meanwhile - I'll look around on the internet too. =)
    I can't believe I used to live about 2 miles away from Tate's and didn't even know it!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member