Warm here this week, sugar cake

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Weather is very warm this coming week here in central Arkansas. Supposed to be up to 67 by Wednesday. Bees are flying, so I thought I would give them some sugar cake to eat on. Hopefully they will eat on it and save their honey.

The hives are still very heavy. But they look to be going after the sugar cake.

It was a treat to get to look inside of the hives. All the hives look very healthy so far..:thumbsup:

20131130_145820.jpg 20131130_145829.jpg 20131130_145837.jpg 20131130_150009.jpg

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im doing sugar water to a few nukes myself, I want to start a few more also, I want to get to 100 hives this year or more.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Wow,

We went from 7 to 20 this year. Want to grow more next summer as well. Not sure how many. Maybe to 40 or so.
    Want to set up 8 double deep breeder hives. I want to start selling nucs.

This was our first full summer and it was a great success. I read about all these beeks saying how they don't make any money. We did pretty good.
    We sold about 90 gallons of honey. Have maybe 2 gallons left. have a pretty good size wad of cash to go into next year with.

We make all of our own equipment (except for frames and foundation), but seems to me like there is money to be made in beekeeping and honey.

Not the main reason for doing it, but..

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Geez, a 100 hives:shock:, i had 91 hives this year and they took about all my time. Careful what you wish for.:roll: Jack

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In Zook''s neck of the woods he just walks down the street and picks the swarms off the trees---12 months out of the year.:roll:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    We went from 7 to 20 this year. Want to grow more next summer as well. Not sure how many. Maybe to 40 or so.
    Want to set up 8 double deep breeder hives. I want to start selling nucs.

tecumseh...
    some years back I went from 3 to 20 in one year but did not worry so much about taking any honey and I fed a good bit of syrup. at the 40 level I had enough numbers to produce queens and sell a very few nucs
    ​+ take off some small crop. the labor and material required to have equipment ready and waiting for each step in your expansion path should not be overlooked < essentially each hive translates into 5 more boxes and 50 frames so the task at hand grows and grows. also invariable queen rearing and nuc raising will somewhat to highly limit you expected honey crop and of course some time constraints on labor should be expected.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It doesn't sound pleasant to the ears--especially on a BEE forum, but the beekeeper's investment in equipment (parts, labor, effort, maintenance, etc.) is greater than his investment in bees. It's just that without the bees, the equipment is pretty much worthless. Of course, you can use the supers as bookshelves, but not much more.:mrgreen::confused:

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

Going to make up some 2 to 1 syrup tonight to give to my bees tomorrow for the temp is suppose to be in the 70's, it has been a couple weeks since I gave them any syrup so they are probably out by now. They have been out looking but the last freeze a few days ago got all the plants good.

Ken

9. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

We have enough equipment for 18 deeps ready to go for next year, and 8 nuc boxes(made from plans on this forum)

So, the plan is, (have to get the bees to follow the plan :lol:) but, have about 10 or 12 existing hives for honey production. Then split the other 8 or 10.

Checked all hives this weekend as it was warm, All of them are in double deeps right now and appear to be very strong(very heavy and large bee numbers). We have about 10 to 12 weeks to go before dandelions start blooming here, usually mid to late Feb.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yankee writes...
    So, the plan is, (have to get the bees to follow the plan [​IMG]) but, have about 10 or 12 existing hives for honey production. Then split the other 8 or 10.

tecumseh...
    so how do you plan to make this decision/distinction? that is what is to be you protocol on which will be used for honey and which is to be used for increase/splits?

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Tec,

Not exactly sure just yet. I do have 3 hives that were just GREAT hives. Huge producers and very gentle. I caught all three 2 springs ago. So these queens will be on their 3rd summer. I did 2 splits off of them this summer and the splits came out great also. Gentle and built up fast. I was thinking of taking these 3 queens and using them in double deep breeder hives. I would love to have all my hives like these 3.

Then I have 2 hives with new queens that are very mean. I may just use them for brood production in double deeps.

All other hives will have this years queens in them,and I'm sure I will have some that want to swarm and can start nucs with those.

Any suggestions are welcome.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ideally you want to produce queens from the best stock you have and these days with varroa anything that has a reasonable disposition and gets to be 3 years old is what I look for in a 'queen mother' hive. pretty much the same protocol holds for 'drone mother' hives. for myself I would set the youngest queens in established hives aside and look to these to bring in a honey crop.... anything with a poor disposition gets 1) all drones cells get scraped or scratched very early in the spring time and 2) totally reduced for either nucs or queen rearing purposes not that much later < even in my out yards away from my own queen rearing apiary I would rather limit the number of drones from hives with nasty dispositions.

13. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks Tec.

So, sounds like maybe I am on the right track? I figured if they were good queens and at least 3 years old. That they were the ones I wanted to
    get as many hives started as I could.

I will be sure and scrape drones from my 2 mean hives. I am curious to see if any queens from these 2 hives are also mean. If they are then I will have to
    figure something else out with these 2. Both of these queens were hatched out this year.