warm winter blues

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jan 25, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

What a winter we are having. More like spring or fall. A few things I like to look for on the forum is new keeps posting in the fall. Whats the foul smell coming from my hive? When golden rod blooms. Then watch them agonize and worry over the winter wondering if the bees are going to make it, however, this winter hasn't been a nail biter for the new keeps. Dang they sure are missing out :D

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

He HE just wait til winter #2 :eek: when life hits em in the face, they will worry twice as much. :beg: Jim

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Ya'll be nice to us newbees now. It's been some really unseasonable weather but we've gotta figure how to deal with that, too! Where the bees are supposed be clustering some, little to no brood, we're apparently approaching some hives here in L.A. getting ready to start busting out. My mentor called today and said that he did some inspections today and that the two hives he was over-wintering for me were empty, the bees were gone! Of course he chuckled and then told me about their real conditions...these are single, 10-frame deeps. Both of them have a couple of frames of sealed brood and another frame or so of larvae and eggs. Nice pollen and honey rings. Earlier I had mentioned that I thought I'd like to bring them to my place around the end of February but I could tell he thought a little later might be better. Well, today he mentioned something about the middle of February...that the bees were progressing so much faster than usual and that we were going to have to do something soon. I may go ahead and take a couple of supers over there "in case".

I noticed that the bees in the small nuc that I have here at the house were bringing in a good bit of pollen this morning. I haven't had a chance to inspect them in about three weeks now and I'm getting a little concerned...I don't want'em getting too crowded on me.

Definitely a warm winter so far, with a few cold drops thrown in. It's supposed to be 76F here tomorrow!!!.....with chances of severe thunderstorms. :( Then it will cool back down into the 60's.

Ed

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

With the warm winter (so far :confused: ) the bees are flying (making them eat more) and bringing in pollen, my cocern is, they will eat up there honey stores before the queen starts laying with no nectar coming in. Going to have to keep an eye on them, and i don't like feeding. :roll: Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:

all new bee keeper with one hive or more should pay special attention to Jack's post above.

how did the robot's line go... warning Will Robinson

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

"danger, danger Will Robinson"

This has definitely been the winter that wasn't.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Watching new keeps agonize and worry over the winter?

Do any of us really ever stop doing that? ;) :lol:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sadly, the voice of the Lost in Space robot died just last month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tufeld

9. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

No but we won't tell them yet :D Jim

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Do any of us really ever stop doing that?

tecumseh:
    well I guess I need to raise my skinny little arm here and fess up. I worry only about those things for which I have some control... 'the girls' are totally out of control so I need not worry about them.

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I know better.
    Just when I think, "Hey! what a mild winter!" Mother Nature slaps me upside the head and next thing I know I'm shovelling 3 feet of Lake Effect snow out of the driveway.

I'll think about admitting winter is over sometime around mid-May.