Warre hive almost finished

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by The Bix, Nov 15, 2011.

1. The Bix

The Bix New Member

Here's a couple of pics from my latest woodworking project:

[attachment=1:30hobuux]WarreHive.JPG[/attachment:30hobuux]

Not having much woodworking experience, I wasted a lot of very nice cedar lumber trying to get the pieces cut for the window side. But I managed to get her done. It's not perfect, but I think the girls will like it for the 2012 season.

[attachment=0:30hobuux]WarreHiveWindow.JPG[/attachment:30hobuux]

Any and all comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I know next to nothing about Warre hive beekeeping, but I've always thought the hives look exceedingly sturdy and attractive. Yours is no exception. Coming from another "not having much woodworking experience", I'm inspired. Well done.

-Dan

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice looking stuff!
    (do you do house reno's?) :lol:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a really great looking hive!! You could sell those with ease.

5. The Bix

The Bix New Member

Dan, I've never done any woodworking at all until about a year ago. The key power tool to have is the table saw. I was fortunate enough to have someone give one to me. A good friend spent a day with me working on a few beekeeping projects last winter and that really helped me learn how to use it. I also bought a sliding compound miter saw, that's a great tool to own as well. Beyond that, all you need is a screwdriver or a powered drive of some sort and you're in business. Warre hives are easy, peasy to build (unless you want a window).

Perry, maybe I should look into that. :)

Thanks for the compliment G3. The picture makes it look a little better than it actually is. The next one I build will be better and yes, I already have a buyer for one of them. Now I just need a little more time to get it done.

6. skydog1979

skydog1979 New Member

looks great. were did you get the plans for the windows, and what are the windows-glass or plexiglass

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dang... looks too pretty to be a beehive.

8. The Bix

The Bix New Member

http://warre.biobees.com/plans.htm is where I got the plans. Pretty easy to follow, the window are Plexiglas. There is a plastics place here in town called Plasticare, they sell plastic, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc. I had them cut twelve windows for me to size for about $18. All the framing places wanted about 5x that price.

9. Ernie Beeboy

Ernie Beeboy New Member

I keep bees in Langs, Top Bars, and Warres, I love all three styles, but I love the Warre the most. Of the three styles it allows the bees to live as close to natural as possible and still allow the keeper access inside if he needs to go in.
    That's the way Emile Warre designed it. His motto was "Happy Bees, Happy Beekeepers"
    Ernie