Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site and bee keeping. I have a warre hive which is doing well but the last couple of evenings I noticed the bees are grouping in a ball outside the hive but only from late afternoon. I thought they may be swamming so I have put out a bait box. Is there anything else I can do...could I get catch them before they fly off...what time of the day do they usually swam??

Thanks
Debbie

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
They are not swarming. They are bearding. There's nothing to worry about. Do a search on bearding and you will find a lot of info. It's just too hot inside so they are sitting on the patio to cool off.

PS. Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Sounds like bearding and nothing to worry about, just shows you have a strong hive.
Some beeks will try to add extra ventilation for them by propping open the top cover just a little with a small stick.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Thanks for the reply, it makes sense, my husband said the day before there were a lot of bees outside and they seemed to be fanning the entrance.

Debbie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday my bees swamed, I spent a long time trying to find them up trees only to find them on the floor a about 6 foot from main hive. I managed to put a box over them and move them. So far they seem to have accepted the new box.

Debbie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts