Was going to pull the reducer but saw this.....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ASTMedic, May 3, 2013.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

I was going to pull the reducer but I was watching this go on. Are they fighting off robbers?? Should I wait to open the hive completely??

[video=youtube_share;OXPeCgXb8bs]http://youtu.be/OXPeCgXb8bs[/video]

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

From what I saw, it might be that the bees were just smelling what it had brought in, and maybe it was trying to waggle dance a little bit. When they fight, I think they kind of hug and sting more violently. Of course, you could have seen more than the video showed.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Definitely not robbing; They are grooming it! A bit like going through a car power wash. I noticed last summer a bee coming out and doing a special dance that invites grooming. They will do it if they have a mite they cant scratch etc. What is your mite count?

I did read up on it and some bees are very vigorous at it. Do a search on grooming dance.

4. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

No stinging. Thats what I expected to see but didn't. That's why I'm puzzled what is going on. Did see them dragging live bees off the board to the ground though. Purging of sick bees? At first I though they were cleaning bees but none had pollen.

I'll try and get more video.

Edit: Thanks Crofter. That's what I thought I was seeing but the throwing of live bees off the board was intriguing.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Get out of here you lousy B! Give yourself a shake! I think if you watch it with that in mind you will see it is invited and the recipient is not protesting. I bet falling off the edge was not intentional.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not robbing. Robbing is a violent thing, looks like when there is a riot and the people and police clash (no offense Dave), not really hard to recognize.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've seen my bees do something similar. I'm glad to know what they were doing as well. Thanks for posting the video. There's a video on here somewhere of robbing. After watching that video, I'm glad I've never seen it in person.

8. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Ya figured it would be more clear but wasn't sure.

9. melrose

melrose New Member

Looks like some greeting going on

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member