Washboarding on a Catalpa Tree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blueblood, Aug 27, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I checked on a friend's property today for a colony in yet another Catalpa tree. The bees love them around here. I will trap these out in the spring next year if they make it through the winter. I noticed they were washboarding on the tree at the entrance. I have not seen washboarding in their natural environment so I took a little video to share with you all. Please excuse the focus and police radio traffic at times. It was about 4:00 PM and 92F at the time of the video.
    DSCF9146.jpg DSCF9147.jpg
    [video=youtube;tZ0J8v89QO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ0J8v89QO4[/video]

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

My bees did a lot of washboarding last year. I have seen very little of it this year. Not sure why. Weather, maybe? Last year was hot and dry. This year has been extremely rainy and much cooler. Hmmm... Maybe the rain kept the porch clean and the girls didn't need to mop! :rolling:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great video dave!!!!

incredible to see all those bees washboarding in the tree........thanks for sharing that!
    ps. loved the police radio traffic.....:lol:

just way cool!!!

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Last year I studied some of the posted washboarding videos.

On the vertical front of a hive, washboarding bees often faced down towards the entrance. Was the main entrance to the cavity at the bottom of the vertical crack ?

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It sure was Barbarian.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Found my best honey producing hive of 2013 wash-boarding this evening. They were pretty active.
    [video=youtube;d0p2kkSkzHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0p2kkSkzHc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUO7b_lxzVLwVRSlAnoI6liw[/video]