Washboarding Report

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Barbarian, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Reports of washboarding appear regularly on this forum. Although washboarding is a recognized behaviour there does not seem to be an explanation. In order to try to explain the behaviour, members are asked to post reports of washboarding on this thread.

WASHBOARDING....... The worker honey bees, standing on the outside of the hive, rock backwards and forwards. The wings are static. During the forward movement the bees touch the hive surface with their mouths and move the forward pair of legs. A group of washboarding bees face in the same direction. There may be more than one group of bees.

DETAILS ..... which may be useful.

Time and date.

Location of apiary.

Temperature and recent weather.

Forecast weather.

No. of hives affected and total no. of hives on site

Nectar flow or dearth.

Condition of affected colony(s).

Source of bees ---- swarm, package, home bred.

Additional factors ---- (and pics).

Please send me a PM or post any suggestions for changes.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This will be real interesting to follow. :thumbsup:

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I observed washboarding on one of my hives during the week of August 19 - 25th (noted on 8-27 that it is still continuing) It seems to be slowing down a little now. As far as I can tell the activity happened during all periods of sunlight. I have seen ti happen on a small scale at other times but this past week the landing board has constantly been entirely covered.

I also observed wash boarding on a top bar hive on a much smaller scale during the same period of time. At the same time I observed none on both a nuc and a trap out I am conducting.

Edit:
    I just reread the OP and realized I didn't get all the info requested covered very well. sowill try and fill in.

Location of apiary. Back yard, City

Temperature and recent weather. Day Temps 90 plus nights 60 or below. Sunny and little or no rain

Forecast weather. More hot and dry with a trend toward a bit cooler

Hives affected / total no. of hives. 1

Nectar flow or dearth. slowest period seen so far this summer.

Condition of affected colony(s). Strong queenright and wells stocked for winter. Overly harassed by first year beekeeper

Source of bees ---- swarm, package, home bred. 5 frame nuc purchased in mid May of this year

Additional factors ---- (and pics). Sorry no photos. Washboarding is accouring only on lower landing board although they have a landing board on the upper entrance. Only one bee observed washboarding on that entrance and then only for one day.

Please send me a PM or post any suggestions for changes.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great thread barbarian.
    i have some information to add, and can post either pictures or a short video of 7 hives washboarding all at the same time. my notes for this are somewhere else, but will post back with the info later today.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Time and date.
    Location of apiary.
    Temperature and recent weather.
    Forecast weather.
    No. of hives affected and total no. of hives on site
    Nectar flow or dearth.
    Condition of affected colony(s).
    Source of bees ---- swarm, package, home bred.
    Additional factors ---- (and pics).

July 20, 2012, about 11:30 a.m., the 7 hives all washboarding at the same time are in the country and located near each other. temp was about 85, humid, and had been hot and dry. we have suffered a severe drought, but there was a nectar flow on at the time. my colonies are all healthy, queenright, russian hybrids, and russian mutts (home bred). our nectar flows, what there was of them, were off and on. our spring weather was unusually warm early, flooding and rainy to hot and dry. some farmers around me were and are losing crops to the drought.

i have seen my hives washboard, but not sure i recall seeing all of them washboarding at the same time and to the degree and length of time. i was checking the supers, when i noticed the girls all piling up on the landing boards and 2 x 4's in front of the landing boards, and there was an elevated busy happy type hum. this was not housecleaning, and in another thread about wb, tecumseh commented about a 'feeling of well being'. i think there is something to be said about this. i checked the supers, and to the bees it was as if i was not present. my hives have suffered because of the weather and drought, and the nectar flow in progress was the first strong flow of the season from two floral sources. i attributed the wb to this.

i do have some video i will post. i realized it is in MOV format, so i will have to convert it, shorten to the best frames, upload to you tube, then post here.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

video finally uploaded, find it here in the forum, another thread on wb:

washboarding bees