Washboarding

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Noticing it on two of my hives last two days but didnt have my camera or phone with me..

Will try get video tomorrow.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The most interesting aspect of washboarding is when the girls (sometimes) sway in unison. Try to get that in your video.

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

This topic seems to occur regularly. It is interesting behaviour and fascinating for the beekeeper.

The forum usually carries different explanations for the behaviour. I think it may enhance the forum's status if we had a thread of "Wahboarding Report". By compiling data on the event it may help someone to identify the cause. What do you think ?

I would suggest that such a thread should start with a definition/description of washboarding. Further information would be weather, temperature, time, location and colony condition. Has anyone other condition suggestions ? As an after thought --- nectar flow.

A wild idea ---- possibly. Another fantasy from Barbarian's cloud cuckoo land ? :dontknow:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not a bad idea. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. :wink:

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Mine do it all the time in the evening. I think mine are square dancing though. Put your ear up close you can hear the music.:grin:

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

How about the weather forecast for the next 12 or 24 hours?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Barbarian, Make a new thread and see if it takes off. If there's an interest shown, I'll make it a sticky.

You could also write a complete article about it and I'll put it on the home page with Efmesh's article on beekeeping in Israel.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i like barbarian's idea, and iddee's idea. i do have a recent video of 7 hives washboardng.....all were in unison, all at the same time. when i get a chance to upload the video to you tube, i will post it here, if i forget......would someone remind me:lol:

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I will do as Iddee suggested.

I feel a little un-qualified in this topic since I have never seen washboarding. I am sure I will get plenty of help and suggestions from the forum members. :roll:

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

2 things I have noticed is size of the hive does not seem to matter, the cone-o-bees hive has had the hole front of the 1st brood box and landing pad covered with wash boarding and its 5 nine inch boxes high, now a nuc about half filled at the time that was split off the cone hive and has a new laying queen has bees wash boarding on the front of it all ready, also I have hives that have never done it, and hives started of these hives have not shown any wash boarding either.

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Washboarding bees orientation

I have looked at several videos showing washboarding. I have noticed the following :-

Washboarding bees on the front of the bottom box face down towards the entrance.
    Washboarding bees on the horizontal alighting board face towards the entrance.
    Washboarding bees on the vertical edge of the alighting board face down, away from the entrance.
    On one video, washboarding bees on a sloping extention to the alighting board were facing down, away from the entrance.

Are these observations valid ? Do you get washboarding at a top entrance ? :???:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    Put your ear up close you can hear the music.

tecumseh:
    mine here always seem to be listening to Willie and Waylon.

I would suggest (via my wife's work) that repetitive motion in animals generally is associated with the production of serotonin and the feeling of well being.

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well I have a observation Im sure no1 else has seen, my hives that washboard do it at night as well, I was just watching the nuc and the cone-o-bees hive and they are doing right now at 9pm and its total darkness out there right now, the hives that have shown no washboarding during the day have bees just balled up at the entrances just sitting.

14. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Has anyone here been able to see if these appear to be younger bees or older ones? I have thought that maybe if it is mainly younger bees that they are stretching their exoskeleton, kind of like how newly emerged butterflies stretch and dry out their wings to harden before their first flight. :dontknow:

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe they had so much laundry that they couldn't finish it all during the daylight hours? :lol:

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

here is the video.....apologize for some of the not so crystal clear video, hard to do with a veil on, an unfamiliar camera, and glasses in my pocket instead of on my face :lol:

[video=youtube_share;wiXHaUw5ljU]http://youtu.be/wiXHaUw5ljU[/video]

17. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Ours have been washboarding almost every day this week. But only around the top entrance. It's funny as they are disappearing then reappearing from the top cover as they do it.

Jason

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Riverbee, Thanks for that terriffic video. It was interesting to observe that the few drones that appeared did not participate in the activity. They simply walked their way, pushing through the crowd as if nothing was going on around them.

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef,
    thank you. i had 20 minutes of video i had to cut, and i have watched these videos over and over, one because i am so curious about why the girls do this, and two, to watch the drones, and it was funny. i might see if i can put together some quick clips. the drones are interesting to watch and are largely ignored, and they wander in and out of the hives aimlessly, left out of the dance party, (or not invited to the 'prom') :lol:

btw, i forgot to mention, that i had 7 hives washboarding all at the same time. i went to check supers when i noticed the first one, and the elevated hum in the air....i looked at all the hives in that location and they were all washboarding, with piles of bees on the landing board, the 2 x 4, up the front of the hive and at the top entrance. i am not sure who started it, or if they all started at the same time......

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

They were definitely washboarding. Mine don't seem to do it as much, or they do it when I'm not looking. But mainly mine are like a little airport, launch and return, launch and return.