Wasp and Yellow Jacket trap

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Paul Cottier, Nov 6, 2017.

1. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

where did you try to buy it? I got mine from amazon...when you look it up many other pesticides are there..

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

Canadian version of amazon doesn't have it; its a controlled product up here so no company will sell it to someone without an appropriate permit (big fines if they do).

I live close to the border; next time I cross over I may have to grab a bottle to bring back, or find an alternative here.

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

just whip up something in the lab that works the same...I would imagine anything that has the same properties would be restricted as well, but then again maybe not.. or get friendly with someone that has the permit to use it and borrow some..

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I'm not a chemist, so whipping it up is beyond me. There are a number of pesticides that remain available for public use (phenothrin, tetramethrin, etc); when spring comes I may give that a go and report back here...if not, next time I cross the boarder on a beer run I'll grab some of the good stuff.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I can get some here, but Home Depot sure didn't have much last time I checked. No Amazon?

6. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

Amazon US just redirects to Amazon Canada...whom isn't dumb enough to sell controlled products.

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

can you buy from home depot or lowes online or those get redirected too? or some other online supplier out of canada?

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

Homedepot/lowes have local stores, so they just redirect traffic to local sites. I've not found anyone who mail-orders it to Canada (I've looked). I go to Michigan a couple times a year, so I may be able to grab some my next trip...otherwise I may simply try a different pesticide.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

So apparently poisoning the buggers is officially off of the menu. After talking about grabbing some pesticide on our upcoming trip to Michigan, SWMBO announced in no no uncertain terms that we were going to live-trap them and feed them (post chemical-free killing) to our chickens.

Going to keep this idea in my back pocket, in case they get really bad again this year, but I'm not one to turn my nose up at free animal feed.

B

10. Gypsi

certainly hot dog or catfood bait will get them into a trap, although my syrup bucket seems to be doing well today

11. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

I've been looking at live trapping options; meat appears to be best in terms of minimising bee deaths. Not many around now...snow took care of 'em...but come spring I'm going to try a few setups and see what comes of it.

12. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

personally, I would poison the yellow jackets and buy chicken feed..how many yellow jackets would you catch in a season to off set feed costs? compared to stings and damage done to the honey bees by the yellow jackets...

13. Gypsi

I nailed 3 yellow jackets just by flipping the empty syrup bucket over them (bees had all gone home). next day at noon, 3 dead yellow jackets when I went to add a quart

14. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

We're not replacing feed with yellow jackets; we're reducing feed costs. The hope is that with a mix of various bug traps, fodder, and using chicken tractors, we can reduce our feed usage 50-60%. Bugs are high protein, so by weight they produce more growth than conventional feed. Given how many wasps we had this year, I imagine we should get a pretty good "harvest".