Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[attachment=5:4b37b4gu]paper_wasp_full.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=6:4b37b4gu]BaldFacedHornet-kurt-jaeger.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=4:4b37b4gu]Sceliphron-mud-dauber.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=3:4b37b4gu]velvet_ant_full.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=2:4b37b4gu]thumbnailCA22A726.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=1:4b37b4gu]eurowasps.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu][attachment=0:4b37b4gu]mantis.jpg[/attachment:4b37b4gu]

The more common wasp and hornets we encounter the most often--and the ever present praying mantis collectively for us beekeepers they do take honeybees but not on a noticable scale unless the individual colonies are really quite weak.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: wasps, velvet ants, hornets, just we know what we are se

Bens-Bees said:
I'm not sure what that is in the velvet ant picture... but this is the variety of velvet ant that we have in Tennessee... http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/hymenoptera/velvet-ant060516-8391facez.jpg

And a note about mud-daubers, they prey on black widow spiders.
That's the same velvet ant we have down here in Fla.,and I've never seen one here like the one shown in Barry's pic.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Excellent post!
The yellow jacket colony was fascinating... I have only ever seen them as a hole in the ground.

Another note about European Hornets: They ARE large! - up to 2" long, and they buzz like a helicopter when flying. In the photo you see only a tiny part of the colony... there will be a large brown paper nest in the wall behind. They fly at night and are attracted to the lights in your house. It also takes quite a number of vigorous whacks with a shoe to subdue one that finds its way inside... this I know!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts

the first pic is a velvet ant, they are found in the western US

The red one is a cow killer and is found in the eastern US.
I can guarantee the cow killer has a stinger that is 1/2" long

1 - 6 of 6 Posts