Watch out, I'm back!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Hi all,
    I've sure missed the bee forums. I had a busy early summer, then there was the fire in these parts and pretty much when I was sitting around glued to the internet watching for fire and evacuation updates...my computer went kaput. I managed to eventually cobble together a working machine from 3 older dead computers, so I'm back online, finally. And of course, I have a question!

I inspected all my hives the past 2 days and everyone's looking for great for this time of year, but I've got one hive that I'm moderately concerned about. It's just flat out packed with bees. If I were looking at a hive this full in June, I'd split it in a heartbeat. But, it's August.

No signs at all of queen cells during inspection, and there was room still for brood laying. But there were also 2 full (wall to wall full) frames of capped brood just about ready to hatch, and 3 frames with brood at all stages and eggs, all what I'd call a full brood frame, just not wall to wall.

I have no idea how I'd stop a swarm at this point, and I'm concerned they might. About a month ago we pulled all the super frames that were full and added in 4 empty frames (foundations only). They've not even touched 2 of them, making me think they really aren't all that interested in drawing out foundation at this point. If I actually had some drawn foundations, I'd probably try to turn it into a 3 deep instead of a two deep, but I don't have any drawn frames around. We have about...6 more weeks of warm enough weather for the ladies to be flying in. We're pretty much done with any significant flow, there's just a few late blooming wildflowers around.

(I seriously might pull some at the beginning of spring next year and keep them stored and start building up a tiny stock of drawn frames to have around, considering the number of times this year I've wished I had a few drawn frames.)

I have 2 other full hives, but I feel like adding population to them would be unnecessary and would perhaps just overcrowd them. They are all in great shape, and have lots of brood in all stages in addition to strong populations already.

Any ideas on what I might could do here?

Thanks, and I'm glad to be back online!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just sent you a pm saying that your presence was missed after I saw another post..............................and then I read this one! :yahoo:

Sounds like all your hives are in fine shape. If you are at all worried about overcrowding, pull a couple of frames of capped honey and give them a frame or two of foundation to play with (keeps 'em busy). If they don't touch them you can always drop those frames you took out right back in.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I can't say about your hives, but welcome back! :grin:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like perry said.:thumbsup: I just done the same thing for some new beekeepers in our club, there one hive was packed with bees and honey bound. I also made up a 5 frame nuc from the strong hive, with one frame of larva and eggs to get them a new queen for there other hive that was weak and had a failing queen. They just live 5 miles from me so i can keep an eye on them. Jack

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

1. Welcome back to activity on the forum. Glad you weathered the summer fire safely that only your computer was out of comission and nothing more.
    2. I wish your "problems" on all beekeepers. :thumbsup:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do you still have a flow going on there?

about the only option I would consider (given your location and time of year) would be a full sized split and a mated queen.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The Bees are aware of the time of year and honey flow so will not swarm if they know there chances for survival is slim.
    Are they in 1 or 2 brood supers? If only 1 place a box under neath the super so the bees can store the honey in the top brood box and force the queen down. so they have enough winter stores.