Watch your hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

So yesterday walking past the hives to my Barn, I see a Yellow Jacket take a walk into the one hive that has been a bit light when last I checked.

I panic .... lift the lid (temps only 49 deg but no wind) , see no bees in the top super - this hive was fine last week. So I pull the whole top box and find a nice cluster below across about 4 frames--- phew relief !!!! , of course the girls aren't happy with me and I get a reminder .... plus a few chase me for about 20 ft.

But in lifting the Top Super I know why my hive is light, they have completely eaten at least 5 frames ....I cover the hive and I head to my stores and pull 3 frames of capped honey from the freezer and added them back into the super, getting another tag at same time.... but I felt it was worth it, knowing they are fine for now.

Never did see the Yellow jacket , but will be watching for the little bugger.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good advice, if they are starting to feel light now, they will feel a lot lighter in a couple of months!

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Close call. Glad you were able to take proactive measure right away.