Watching the Girls Come Home

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Jun 3, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I know you all will get tired of me, but I am reading here and elsewhere, but I've just gotta get some of the blanks filled in. As I watch the bees come back to the hive throughout the day, it seems that I see more pollen coming back in the early hours of the day. I read somewhere that the workers will go out for pollen or nectar, but not both at the same time. Right? So when the girls return without pollen then is it safe to assume that they're either carrying nectar or they got tired looking and came back for a break or maybe they were texting during the wiggle briefing and launched off without fully understanding the instructions. Help me understand what I'm seeing.

I wish I had been a beekeeper when my daughters were teenagers with the great object lesson the bees could have taught about girls being home before dark.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

To the best of my knowledge, bees remain faithful to the source they start the day with. Now in an emergency I suppose some are persuaded to alter their plans.

Thank heavens I have 10 year old boy. That time is too near already! :wink: :lol:

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

..or they're carrying water or propolis, or they're drones....:wink:

It is fun to watch though.

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Like Eddy said, they gather a lot of nectar and sap from trees and water. Also, some flowers just have less pollen than they do nectar, as well. In my community garden, I can sometimes follow ladies from the sage flowers to the hive, they don't have a lick of pollen on them from the sage, that I can see.

And...the water bowl is *the* happening place around noon. There's a giant concrete slap we left in the garden as a seat near the bees, and I'll sit and watch. It's so neat because I swear some of them are just having fun. Most just lift off and go straight for the entrance, some though...they do a couple little circles in the air and kind of make a weaving path back to the hive. Some come right out of the entrance and right to the water...some kind of meander their way there. It's like some of the ladies are all "Oh, yes! I'm on water duty today, time to rest a little bit!"

I know I anthropomorphize my bees a lot, and maybe that's silly of me. But it just is one thing that makes keeping enjoyable and fun for me.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have noticed an increase in visitors to the water cans I have set up. It's neat to see them all side by side sipping some h2o. I have noticed major traffic at the hives at 5:30 PM. I don't see much color in the pollen baskets and have wondered if there was pollen there but I could not physically see it. I figured they were bringing in all sorts of other supplies too.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's highly unlikely. We all have our questions and enjoy sharing what we know and what we don't know, all in good spirits and humor. :wave: