water coming out of hive??????

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Michbeeman63, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

I have a 2nd year hive that has sugar water dripping down inside the hive outside the entrance. A candy board was put on the hive in December, and it appears that the water is sticky and clear. A lot of dead bees have been raked from the entrance over the past few weeks. I have a 5/8 inch hole on the candy board to allow ventilation and a place for bees to go on cleansing flights.

this hive was not my strongest and did not produce any surplus honey in its first season. Still seems to have some live bees in it since I can hear them when I tap with the top open. Don't see any bees eating the candy board.

My thought is that the hive has a small amount of bees, and can't keep it warm enough to prevent condensation? Too cold to take a closer look.

If there are bees left this late in the winter, what are my chances of them coming through the winter and being a good hive?

2. Robo

Robo New Member

The only time I have had issues with candy boards dripping was when the candy wasn't made hard enough. Was it like clear glass when it cooled, or was it white cloudy-like?

Hopefully the cluster is big enough to create enough heat to keep the candy about them from condensating and that what is dripping is around the sides of the hive.

3. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

the candy board is a 2 inch wood box with a queen excluder on the bottom. I made it with sugar, and it was only water and vinegar and sugar left to dry for a about a week or so. It seemed pretty solid, but you could push it down if you pushed hard enough. the candy was not fully hard. I have two hives that have the same candy board, and the other hive's sugar on the board is nearly gone, and no water is dripping from this one.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Can you swap candy boards with the other one?

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Ventilation!, improve ventilation in the drowning hive!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

heat generated via the brood nest????

condensation typically requires a differential in temperature between the outside and inside of the box.

7. Robo

Robo New Member

If there aren't sufficient bees to create heat to keep the air warm enough to vent out the 5/8" hole, adding more ventilation isn't going to help. A 5/8" hole should be plenty big enough in Michigan, except the air needs to stay warm enough for it to vent.

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Condensation can also occur when the sun melts frost in the hive, or the hive goes through the dew point during typical daily temperature swings.

9. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

would not really want to swap the boards since it is still cold. The one board is nearly gone of sugar. have some cakes of sugar to add to that hive. Another issue is the sticky liquid on the entrance seems to be acting like fly paper and the bees are getting trapped.

Should I open up the entrance slightly? It is about a 3 inch by 1/4 medium opening. More air flow would reduce the moisture built up.

Guess the fact that the moisure is being produced is a good sign that there is still bees live in the hive. At this point in Michigan what do you think my chances of survival for this hive are?

appreciate the help.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would say you have condensation issues. I wouldnt recommend swapping candy boards. If it is the candy board causing the problem you will have 2 hives with a problem. If you are thinking it is the candy board I would remove the board and see if it clears up in a couple days

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if it is too cold for anything else I would tip the hive just a bit forward and allow the liquid to run out. a STICK <a tecumseh patented product) lodged under the back should keep the remaining liquid draining from the bottom board. if there is any kind of cluster left they should then clean up the bottom board fairly quickly. I would assume you have a fairly restricted front entrance???? >the syrup running out the front door will almost invariable draw robbers.